Freeze plugs

Mob

May 17, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
ma71supraturbo said:
Get em from Toyota. The ones off the shelf for the SBC are very close but aren't quite the same -- I forget who it was that recently popped a couple freeze plugs out on the dyno...

Jim Jobe just recently did on his 5--hp pull in November. Swears by Toyota now :naughty:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Saw it happen a bit in the old days with SBC's, a lot depends on how it's been fitted.

Way I've been doing em for many years is to clean the hole in the block and if needs be give it a light sand in a round and round motion NOT in and out.

I then grab the Permatex #4 hard setting and a socket with a short extension bar that's 1mm smaller diameter than the inside of the plug.

Now the important part is get it lined up give it a few light taps to start it then give it a few good whacks, you want to do it in 2 maybe 3 hits.

If you do many little taps it collapses the plug and you lose the crush that's meant to keep them in and of course they pop out under pressure.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i had my machinst shop install new plugs. they carried all the metric sizes that i needed. turned out great.

B

Boostaddctn

IJ. said:
Jeff: Not sure there but here you can buy Metric plugs off the shelf, it's just the flat one behind the timing cover that's hard to find.

Dorman or Motormite has that plug behind the timing cover, I had a hell of a time sourcing it, but was able to find it... aight peace :chicken:

But I do remember that the one behind the block was the one I had the hardest time sourcing, or was it one of the ones on the side, I can't remember, but one of em I had a hell of a time sourcing...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Those freeze plugs are going to be hard to find in the USA. Everywhere else should be pretty easy - my machine shop carried all the metric sizes, had literally all but one on the shelf, and that one took all of about 10 minutes to get from the parts shop. :)

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
supralover2000 said:
How many total freeze plugs are there??? I called toyota and the parts guy said that He counted 11.....

you can call me and idiot for not knowing... but what are freeze plugs... and what do they do...(I'm still learning the 7m and probably always will be...)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
supralover2000 said:
How many total freeze plugs are there??? I called toyota and the parts guy said that He counted 11.....
Depends on the year SL, my new GTE block has 2 more than my old NA block.

Not sure if this is normal but the NA Block has 2 big arse screw in plugs at the top rear side of the block whereas the new GTE doesn't.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
7M-GTE said:
you can call me and idiot for not knowing... but what are freeze plugs... and what do they do...(I'm still learning the 7m and probably always will be...)
Well, they are big plugs in your block that are supposed to blow out if your coolant freezes to prevent damage to your block. Of course, most people who let their coolant freeze don't realize it, and then drive the car - when the coolant melts, it promptly vomits out of the freeze plug hole until there is none left, then the engine overheats, the head warps, and the head gasket self destructs in sympathy.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
ok... I was actually looking at some of these holes... are they on the head or the block... c\ I noticed two in the back of my head... on my old head they were plugged but not on my new one... and I've noticed that I've had to put a lot of coolant in it... could that be my problem...

Darkcyde

Workin' Man
Mar 30, 2005
La Villa Strangiato
IJ. said:
Depends on the year SL, my new GTE block has 2 more than my old NA block.

Not sure if this is normal but the NA Block has 2 big arse screw in plugs at the top rear side of the block whereas the new GTE doesn't.

My 87 gte block has those screws.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
DC: Thanks we were discussing this here the other night as all of the NA Blocks I have here have the screw in but both the GTE's I have are freeze plugs!

Interesting to hear the early GTE's are screw in as well!

Darkcyde

Workin' Man
Mar 30, 2005
La Villa Strangiato
IJ. said:
DC: Thanks we were discussing this here the other night as all of the NA Blocks I have here have the screw in but both the GTE's I have are freeze plugs!

Interesting to hear the early GTE's are screw in as well!

I just ran down to the garage and looked @ all three blocks I have.
My 86.5 N\A and 87 turbo both have the screws and my 89 turbo does not.
The 89 turbo is an early 89(mfg date 10\88)