For those who speed/race or go fast.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SIXTY percent of the HP your car makes is used to overcome simple drag...

that's on average, but it's a pretty crazy number...

Supra's always felt stable at high speeds, even in up and down turns and twists and breakneck speeds. Might feel a bit unsettled and hairy, but the car does have a decent amount of downforce to keep it down (either that or it's just a fat pig...)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I raced my brother's vette and I had to be doing at least 150 when I passed him. If my speedometer hadn't been broke I would have never caught him. The car felt really good at 150, but I have more common sense than to be going that fast.............unfortunately for me, I don't always use what little common sense I have.

The video is in the video section somewhere.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I wish I could watch this vid. Just sitting here bored at work.

the sti just seems to hunker down at anything over 130, it's like it drops 3" and is barely skimming the ground. It's deff got the brakes to stop it from those speeds too.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Tested out this very thing again today. Definitly more stable then most anything else I've been in, even over some wild dip/humps in the road, still solid as a rock.

Now I just need to work out a new vibration in it...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
iwannadie said:
Yea, now imagine doing 150mph on a motorcycle. Your average minivan is more aerodynamic than the sportiest motorcycle, yet they some how manage high speeds.

Well yea, if you strap a rocket to a cinder block its going to haul ass also.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
D34DC311 said:
Well yea, if you strap a rocket to a cinder block its going to haul ass also.

The point is the motor is constantly struggling to over come the aero drag effect and they do fine. The OP was saying if you push high speeds it causes motor wear because of the drag.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
When i read the first post...i thought this thread was about how it feels to shove your head out the window at 100mph... lol.

Now for the bike/van comparison - I think the gyro effect of the wheels helps a lot probably... what i wonder is how a rider on a bike with little or no real windscreen can keep on the bike when wind is hitting his/her chest. it would suck to sit up to far and get...blown off.

i haven't been past 80 in my car. but it feels smoother at 75-80 than it does at 65-70. maybe because its going faster. but yeah i dont want to go any faster in a car that's older than me and hasnt had a full checkup in a while... and i dont want to know what it's like to loose control at those speeds either.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ uhhh.... because you hold the f*ck on when you're going that fast?

*edit*
I hardly ever tuck down and I have 0 probs sitting straight up at 100+. Bumps kill the nuts... lol

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
^ uhhh.... because you hold the f*ck on when you're going that fast?

*edit*
I hardly ever tuck down and I have 0 probs sitting straight up at 100+. Bumps kill the nuts... lol

i've never been on a motorcycle before therefore had no actual clue. thanks though.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Dun worry, was having fun w/ it.

That teenie tiny little windshield does a pretty good job.

For me the problem is passing oncoming semis. The sudden gust of air can catch you offgaurd... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Figit090 said:
When i read the first post...i thought this thread was about how it feels to shove your head out the window at 100mph... lol.

Now for the bike/van comparison - I think the gyro effect of the wheels helps a lot probably... what i wonder is how a rider on a bike with little or no real windscreen can keep on the bike when wind is hitting his/her chest. it would suck to sit up to far and get...blown off.

i haven't been past 80 in my car. but it feels smoother at 75-80 than it does at 65-70. maybe because its going faster. but yeah i dont want to go any faster in a car that's older than me and hasnt had a full checkup in a while... and i dont want to know what it's like to loose control at those speeds either.

How does the gyro effect of the wheels help aerodynamics? Also, theres plenty of bikes with no windscreens at all and people seem to manage just fine. My bike has full fairings and decent screen, I can tuck slightly and feel no wind. My old cruiser though had no thing, wind at 120 did make me hold on Real tight lol.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
iwannadie said:
Yea, now imagine doing 150mph on a motorcycle. Your average minivan is more aerodynamic than the sportiest motorcycle, yet they some how manage high speeds.

I was referring to how a motorcycle can manage itself at high speeds. I was imagining how tipsy and crazy a van would be at speed...

i dunno - all i know is i wasn't referring to aerodynamics when i said that.