flex downpipe neccessary

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
MassSupra89 said:
Are you referring to the flex section breaking? Never had any problems with any of my non flex exhausts. That's what rubber hangers are for.

no i agree too. ive been running a non flex sectioned exhaust now for over 2 years and have had no problems. rubber hangers soakup most of the movement.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Fozbo said:
If you look at the stock setup, the downpipe is bolted to the elbow (bolted to the turbo and rest of the engine). There is a "flex" section in the downpipe, then after the flex section, there is a bracket that mounts the exhaust to the transmission. The whole exhaust is bolted to the engine before and after the flex section. So this means that the "flex" section is really just a heat expansion section (i.e. it's just there to allow the metal to have an expansion area since if sees such high temperatures).
OK, so why is a 3SFE engine have a flex pipe on a Corolla not near the engine then?

D

drumminforev

I still dont see how a flex pipe is gonna help anything if i bottom out, considering the flex section is horizontal mainly and bottoming out would be verticle....and how much does it really matter if its ribbed or not inside

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Nick M said:
OK, so why is a 3SFE engine have a flex pipe on a Corolla not near the engine then?

I don't know, I was only referencing from first hand experience with the supra. I came to a logical conclusion from my own experiences trying to help someone out, wasn't trying to start an argument or anything.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
drumminforev said:
I still dont see how a flex pipe is gonna help anything if i bottom out, considering the flex section is horizontal mainly and bottoming out would be verticle....and how much does it really matter if its ribbed or not inside
i guess by eliminating ANY movement. i already have a 3 inch flex section (SS),and the turbo flange by Lipp. I just need to find a full 3' Dp.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
fozbo is correct if you think about it...the tranny doesn't flex seperate from the motor, and the stock dp is bolted to the turbo and the tranny with the flex section in the middle....there shouldn't be any flex between the motor and transmission. I don't have one, no problems getting the dp on or off and I haven't cracked the turbo/manifold.

In conclusion. I'd say that it's all preference. If you think something might happen to where you'd need a flex section then get one, if you don't want one then don't. If you get a smooth flex section it's not gonna hurt power at all, just costs a little more.

D

drumminforev

Well of course smooth isnt gonna hurt, i figured it would help, but by how much is my question

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
drumminforev said:
Well of course smooth isnt gonna hurt, i figured it would help, but by how much is my question

i can only guess not by much...but after i dunno 5 years or so u might see a big diff.
just get it to be on the afe side.

your alrdy dumping so much money into your engine etc etc (saw your list), why not spend a couple more bucks on this particular matter.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Typical flex pipe found at any autoparts store, or at summit racing:

This is the truck type used on heavy duty applications and over-the-road semi's:
(i can see how you guys couldn't find it... it took me like 20min to track this one down)

too bad it comes in a 5' roll though...

D

drumminforev

oscolivar1 said:
i can only guess not by much...but after i dunno 5 years or so u might see a big diff.
just get it to be on the afe side.

your alrdy dumping so much money into your engine etc etc (saw your list), why not spend a couple more bucks on this particular matter.
Well if its 50 bucks then it doesnt sound worth it.

Where can i find some smooth ones like this

BTW that coil of shit doesnt look anything like the flex pipe section right about it.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
This is what you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-St...0QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33633QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note the inside has the solid flex...the outside is a mesh reinforcement.

This is what you don't want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-x-...8QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33633QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The inside is the same mesh as the outside...not good for flow or allowing gas to escape...it's cheaply made.

You will not see any gain or loss from using a flex...HP wise, it's neutral. I use one because I do not want any chassis vibration or movement to be transferred to my turbo/exhaust manifold. Like I said, it will stress the hardware and we have enough trouble with the studs holding the exhaust manifold loosening up as is without adding additional stress from the chassis. What it comes down to is do you think this is important...as much $$$ as I have in my motor, $50 is noise level. A downpipe will work well if there is no restriction, has quality welds, and hugs the bottom of the car...regardless of flex or not.

D

drumminforev

I see the diff, why does the first one even have the mesh on it since its gonna expand and contract anyway?

Are you saying the vibrations from the tranny would stress the manifold without the flex pipe, if not where are the vibs coming from because the rubber hangers would absorb all that come from the chassis

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The mesh is there mostly for looks...it does provide some additional support, but not a whole lot. I wanted you to see what not to get.

Yes and the rubber hangers also allows the exhaust system to move when you hit bumps in the road. Or if you happen to bottom out the downpipe. I use a flex for the added insurance...you don't have to use one.

Most quality downpipes (cooleze, BIC, etc.) either come with a flex or is an option.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
that's pretty funny. I made half an exhaust for my winter beater (91 cavalier) out of that roll of flex crap. $50???? I bought a 6' long piece 2.5" inner diameter for like...$11?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
The stuff I linked to is stainless, and 3"

But yeah, I know what you're talking about. That stuff rocks for making a "custom" exhaust for a beater.. lol
my brother's chevette had nearly an entire exhaust made out of it.