flex downpipe neccessary

D

drumminforev

Is there really any benefit to having a flex downpipe

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
Well If your car is lowered and/or you live where their are places you scrape or bottom out then, yes. It is mounted to the turbo exhaust housing and if your DP bottoms out it could crack the housing or worse.

I recommend the BIC DDP w/flex section.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you wonder why there is a flex pipe, maybe you could check with automotive manufacturers that put them on many many applications.

The car can twist a small amount on the road. The flex pipe keeps it from breaking as noted.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Not to mention the torque from the motor itself will cause the engine to move....the downpipe is fairly stiff and on one side of the motor. The flex section relieves the resulting stress to the turbo mounts. Is it required? No...is it a good idea? Yes, IMO.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Solid motor mounts and transmission mounts will negate the real need for a flex section. You can add one for peace of mind, and I would suggest the tractor trailer style flex sections. They're smooth inside, not corrugated like most of the general automotive ones.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
If you look at the stock setup, the downpipe is bolted to the elbow (bolted to the turbo and rest of the engine). There is a "flex" section in the downpipe, then after the flex section, there is a bracket that mounts the exhaust to the transmission. The whole exhaust is bolted to the engine before and after the flex section. So this means that the "flex" section is really just a heat expansion section (i.e. it's just there to allow the metal to have an expansion area since if sees such high temperatures).

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
it helps when your putting the dp back on. You can move it a bit to get it over the bolts on the elbow. Unless the exhaust was built perfect

D

drumminforev

supra90turbo said:
Solid motor mounts and transmission mounts will negate the real need for a flex section. You can add one for peace of mind, and I would suggest the tractor trailer style flex sections. They're smooth inside, not corrugated like most of the general automotive ones.

Thanks for all the replys, i think ill be getting a flex pipe for sure.

How do i know if its trailor style or not?

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
i guess u didn't read his last sentence he said, "They're smooth inside, not corrugated like most of the general automotive ones."

so that answers your Q.
ne one that can answer my Q in post 11.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
yes you can have one welded in. take it to an exhaust shop, they will measure the flex section and cut that much out of the dp and add in the flex

D

drumminforev

Ok they are corrugulated. so I wont know if its smooth or not until i buy it . my question was how to know before i buy if it doesnt say 'trailer style'

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
doesnt really matter that much honestly. the exhaust is very turbulant when it comes out and a little by a smooth or textured flex isnt going to make that much difference.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
flight doc89 said:
not if you don't mind replacing it when (not if) it breaks

Are you referring to the flex section breaking? Never had any problems with any of my non flex exhausts. That's what rubber hangers are for.