exhaust pipe question.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
thinking about doin the exhaust on my 1j but im unsure of which size exhaust to get. right now im still running the stock twins but eventually i want to upgrade to a gt35R turbo. i want to buy an exhaust that i could use with my stock twins and it would still be a good choice for when i go single turbo.
i was considering getting the BIC 3.5 exhaust but its pretty expensive and probably going to be fairly loud. my question is do i really need a 3.5 catback exhaust if im gonna run a gt35 eventually or is it overkill? would 3 inch piping be efficient enough? because i know i can find 3 inch catback exhausts for cheap and i found a 3 inch dowpipe on ebay for 100. also if i got the BIC 3.5 where could get find a 3.5 inch dowpipe to go with it and a 3.5 inch test pipe?

thanks
vic

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you'll have to goto an exhaust shop anyway to build the downpipe for the gt35... find a good catback now and whenever you get a new turbo build it off that to your catback and not worry about what downpipe to buy or test pipe because the exhaust shop will take care of that (should be 100$ to build your exhaust or cheaper... better than buying a testpipe/downpipe)

if you really want to get picky buy the materials yourself, pretty easy to source titanium Lol

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
tlo86;883659 said:
you'll have to goto an exhaust shop anyway to build the downpipe for the gt35... find a good catback now and whenever you get a new turbo build it off that to your catback and not worry about what downpipe to buy or test pipe because the exhaust shop will take care of that (should be 100$ to build your exhaust or cheaper... better than buying a testpipe/downpipe)

if you really want to get picky buy the materials yourself, pretty easy to source titanium Lol

Yea but most exhaust shops don't do manderel bent. If you want manderel bent, you can buy a downpipe for the 7m along with a flange to fit your 1j setup. Then cut the flange for the 7m off and then bring the new dp and flange to the exhaust shop and have them put it together for you if you can't weld it yourself.

That's pretty much what I did but i did all the work myslf instead of paying an exhaust shop.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
yeah 3" works just fine. btw how's the swap coming along? did you ever find your hydrofan ecu? post some vids when you get it running.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
the swap is pretty much all done. i just gotta change the heater core and get the hydrofan ecu and put the dash back on. (i accidently drilled a pilot whole in the wrong spot on the firewall...........) i started her up already but i couldnt let her run for too long without the hydrofan ecu. i do have a few videos. ill post them up when i get the chance. still lookin for the hydrofan ecu. trying to find on out of a camry but no luck so far. to think in NYC i cant find a v6 camry with a hydrofan ecu in any salvage yard.....

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i173.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid173.photobucket.com/albums/w73/BigV360/MVI_1153.flv"></embed>

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
damn i hope he still has that ecu..... it was almost 2 weeks ago. yea teh ecu for a camry works the same or so i was told. my cousin actually has a 95 v6 camry with hydrofans and the ecu's look the same. not sure if they work the same though. but i've heard of at least 5 guys using camry hydrofan ecus so they gotta work. thanks for the complements guys

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
well from what i've research and what i've read on this forum as well as others hydrofans flow alot more air than the 2j set-up. not that the 2j set-up is bad by any means but i've seen the hydrofans in action with my own eyes andman those things move crazy amounts of air. plus y spend like 300 on a 2j fan set-up when i can spend like 50 or 60 on the missing piece that i need? all it takes is time to look for one and im not in any rush to drive my car. i rather have it running perfect than take a chance. i got way too much money invested to take chances.
Plus hydrofans give it that extra JDM tite edge ! lmao!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Shadow;883850 said:
Yea but most exhaust shops don't do manderel bent. If you want manderel bent, you can buy a downpipe for the 7m along with a flange to fit your 1j setup. Then cut the flange for the 7m off and then bring the new dp and flange to the exhaust shop and have them put it together for you if you can't weld it yourself.

That's pretty much what I did but i did all the work myslf instead of paying an exhaust shop.

very very true.

if you want mandrel bends it will take a bit of local searching

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
#1StunnaVic;887028 said:
well from what i've research and what i've read on this forum as well as others hydrofans flow alot more air than the 2j set-up. not that the 2j set-up is bad by any means but i've seen the hydrofans in action with my own eyes andman those things move crazy amounts of air. plus y spend like 300 on a 2j fan set-up when i can spend like 50 or 60 on the missing piece that i need? all it takes is time to look for one and im not in any rush to drive my car. i rather have it running perfect than take a chance. i got way too much money invested to take chances.
Plus hydrofans give it that extra JDM tite edge ! lmao!

Ever seen what happens when one leaks, or when your pump goes bad? lol

It does however flow a living shit-ton of air when its functional though.