Exhaust down pipe diffrent on rhd?

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
Long story short got a ebay down pipe and it didnt fit like the bends were wrong and it was too short Ill post up pics later but. The company said that it was for a rhd car. Im like wtf no? so now I gotta send it back and pay postage and time lost. Lets see if the zankou one fits well.

p1729231_1.jpg

p1729231_2.jpg

p1729231_3.jpg

p1729231_4.jpg

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Which dp? Ddp? They have some fitment issues. Might be for mk2 or they just f'ed up on there measurements somewhere down the line. Buddy had same problems.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
7m im guessing. Nothing wrong with the jz ones as far as i know except for the y pipes being totally ghetto built. They bolt up just not with all the nuts on the flange lol.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hvyman;1729253 said:
7m im guessing. Nothing wrong with the jz ones as far as i know except for the y pipes being totally ghetto built. They bolt up just not with all the nuts on the flange lol.

Flanges on the ebay y-pipes are horrible in my experience... As far as the OP's question, downpipes and exhaust bits in general should be the same across all A70 chassis cars, with the exception of the catalytic converter, which I believe to be a bit shorter on the NA cars. Hopefully someone can confirm that though, I'm going off second hand knowledge with the cat thing.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It hits the body huh?

Can always just chop it and extend it like 1-3in or what ever it is.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1729518 said:
Flanges on the ebay y-pipes are horrible in my experience... As far as the OP's question, downpipes and exhaust bits in general should be the same across all A70 chassis cars, with the exception of the catalytic converter, which I believe to be a bit shorter on the NA cars. Hopefully someone can confirm that though, I'm going off second hand knowledge with the cat thing.

RHD cars don't have the AC hump in the firewall on that side but DO have the brake and clutch parts in the way so I can't see how they can be "the same".

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
te72;1729518 said:

the cat is 1 inch longer on the NA cars vs turbo cars, atleast the are on the 87-88 years. might be due to the turbo having the extra cat on the DP.

IJ.;1729656 said:
RHD cars don't have the AC hump in the firewall on that side but DO have the brake and clutch parts in the way so I can't see how they can be "the same".

ahh that makes sense

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
High mount WG Headers won't fit on a RHD car either so it's one of those places where there are enough differences to catch people out due to the firewall being mirror imaged.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Chop it and extend it like 4-5 inches. After that looks like it fit a lot better.

Most of those Chinese cheap dp hang way to low. My 1j one is like 2inches of the ground. Super annoying on speed bumps.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1729678 said:
High mount WG Headers won't fit on a RHD car either so it's one of those places where there are enough differences to catch people out due to the firewall being mirror imaged.

Thanks for curing my ignorance in the matter sir, hadn't thought of that... was thinking more of the catback being the same. After seeing the pictures, that doesn't look like it's meant for a Mk3 at all... Mk2 maybe, like Poodles said, but I can't see that fitting a Mk3 without a bit of chopping and welding.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1730036 said:
No probs Brad, I've made a few sets pf Mk3 headers and always wanted a LHD car to make the job easier ;)

Just like they say about the grass always being greener on the other side of the car, I wish I had a RHD car every time I change the oil on the 1j... steering stuff is quite obnoxious in that regard. :)

just got an ebay DDP and it looks VERY similar to the one shown in the pictures in this thread.

I have the too short problem, which appears to be an issue with the short NA cat.

I also have an issue where the DDP wont go up high enough to mount correctly to the turbo. The flex pipe is getting stuck between the R154 Bellhousing and Tranny tunnel on the chasis.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
1-2clutch-u;1729231 said:
Long story short got a ebay down pipe and it didnt fit like the bends were wrong and it was too short Ill post up pics later but. The company said that it was for a rhd car. Im like wtf no? so now I gotta send it back and pay postage and time lost. Lets see if the zankou one fits well.

p1760043_1.jpg

p1760043_2.jpg

p1760043_3.jpg

p1760043_4.jpg

just seen this thread i bought the same 1 and had the same problem sold it