Exhaust Cutout Anyone?

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Ive got a manual one now and I want an electric one, prolly goin with the McCord Power Plate. Its just too much of a pain in the ass to jack up the car and get under it when I want to run open DP. Then I end up leaving like that for weeks because I dont want to get back under the car. Sounds awesome though, scares the shit outta people.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I don't know how you guys run open dp all the time. It's 100% too loud 100% of the time you're on the gas.

I guess I'm alone on this... but the power gains, that weren't all that great, were not worth the incredibly obnoxious noise the car makes.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
OneJoeZee said:
I don't know how you guys run open dp all the time. It's 100% too loud 100% of the time you're on the gas.

I guess I'm alone on this... but the power gains, that weren't all that great, were not worth the incredibly obnoxious noise the car makes.
im with you, thats why i choose to have my car as street able as i can. Electric cutout and im keeping tems for the adjusting of the ride on the go.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
OneJoeZee said:

you're not alone, i was running open dp and it fucking sucked. way too fucking loud, i couldn't hear myself think...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Brewster said:
way too freaking loud, i couldn't hear myself think...

WHAT!! I sold my ddp to TheKnifeArtist, and now this external wastegate on my 1jz makes that sound like a dremel tool. This thing is way too loud for my liking. I'm going to have my dumptube run into my exhaust pipe somehow. I can't hardly stand to get on it. It makes it sound like something is about to break, so I don't stay in it long..............:aigo:

mk3ftMFw

Mini Toon Burnout!! FTW!!
Jan 24, 2007
Cincy
I wonder if its possible to wire it to a hobbs switch... that would help even out the torque. I might try it if the electric ones werent so damn expensive.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
suprahero said:
WHAT!! I sold my ddp to TheKnifeArtist, and now this external wastegate on my 1jz makes that sound like a dremel tool. This thing is way too loud for my liking. I'm going to have my dumptube run into my exhaust pipe somehow. I can't hardly stand to get on it. It makes it sound like something is about to break, so I don't stay in it long..............:aigo:
You'll get used to it, I love the open dump...it sounds mean!
Plus I love to freak people out;)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
tookwik4u89 said:
You'll get used to it, I love the open dump...it sounds mean!
Plus I love to freak people out;)

sure does, this thing is loudest thing and most sweetest sounding thing in my school parking lot:biglaugh:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprahero said:

reroute your WG back into the exhaust for sure.

This is the only way I'm going to do it when I go single. I refuse to have any externally vented WGs or open DP. I drove a friends car back when I was at school up north with open WG. It was cool for about 2 gears and that was enough.

Open DP sounds like sweaty shit in a blender. To each their own I guess.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
JustAnotherVictim said:
I liked mine when I had open dp. But no way in hell I would drive around like that all the time. It was fun for the dyno but not great for street.
I agree...it sounds cool when your WOT balls out, but it sounds ghetto just driving around like that IMO.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
Ya i have one, i got it from ATP turbo ... it's boost activated and opens up right around 6psi, I'm very happy with it. I was thinking to get an electric one but I didn't want to have to think about when to flip it open, when not too, etc... if I don't want my car to sound loud when cruising around cops, etc I just keep the car out of boost, simple :)

PS - between my cut out and my dump pipe I get a lot of exaust coming out of the front of my car at full throttle, so much I can smell it in the car (got some air leaks somewhere I guess) PLUS my right leg gets VERY warm when I boost a lot, the entire hump there where the shifter is warms up pretty quick! It's not hot hot but it's like having a heating pad on your leg. So when I redo my exhaust I'm going to consider moving around where it cuts out to prevent leg-burn on long trips :)

I started my engine once with open stock downpipe with gutted cats, sounded like shit and I immediatly put the exhaust back on. I think my chevelle was louder with the dumped exhaust and mufflers but its a better sound than a single exhaust 6 cylinder.
Also with open exhaust you lose torque and the supra needs all the torque it can get. I dont see how those exhaust cut outs help much with that 90 degree turn like that definatly doesnt remove as much pressure as it could. If you really wanted it to help then youd want a Y pipe pipe but the exhaust cut out to be straight out from the downpipe and then the exhaust would Y off from that. But then agian like previously stated the power will be later and a loss of torque will be noticed