Exhaust choice/sound related questions.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
That's the old development centre muffler ;)
(it was too thin and a bit small volume wise and didn't survive a backfire on the dyno after hitting the rev limiter)

Kotu: I bought a pair of Stainless Glasspak race mufflers and gutted them and used the perforated baffle tubes and Glass in my own case.

iamshawn

codename: HENRO
Nov 2, 2005
Houston
I usually have the silencer in most of the time since the exhaust on my car is pretty loud at WOT. With the silencer on i can hear the music well... even thought it's coming out of 4 inch speakers > p. With the silencer off the music just get overwhelm by the car alarms going off as i pass the parked cars. > p

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
IJ. said:
That's the old development centre muffler ;)
(it was too thin and a bit small volume wise and didn't survive a backfire on the dyno after hitting the rev limiter)

Kotu: I bought a pair of Stainless Glasspak race mufflers and gutted them and used the perforated baffle tubes and Glass in my own case.
thanks for the info, looks like its a lil more complicated than i thought, ill just stick w/ the tanabe SMH.
to anyone who has the SMH what would you compare the sound level @ cruising rpms 1500-3500rpm no WOT to?

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Well I think I've decided to go with BIC's 3.5 thunder w/resonator and just have the whole car dynomatted when I do my custom sub box which is the next thing in line after my exhaust is taken care of. Pics of the sub box will come in about 2-3 months if anybody is interested in seeing what I'm doing.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
InFrnt0fU said:
Well I think I've decided to go with BIC's 3.5 thunder w/resonator and just have the whole car dynomatted when I do my custom sub box which is the next thing in line after my exhaust is taken care of. Pics of the sub box will come in about 2-3 months if anybody is interested in seeing what I'm doing.
that will work... i need to dynomat my car, but since it isn't a DD it doesn't really get driven enough to get to the point where my interior rattles, but dynomat will fix that problem

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
tekdeus said:
I was unhappy with the loud drone at cruising speeds running a 3" system with resonator and Megan muffler. In my opinion, you will probably want a bigger muffler to dampen the drone. I'm currently installing a Vibrant 3" pre-muffler along with a larger Apex'i muffler because the drone is very annoying.

Aww my buddy's got a custom 3" turbo back exhaust with a megan muffler. And i LOVE :love: the sound of it!!! Its so deep and it actually is really loud in the cab. lol oh well. I still :love: it! Here's a short video of it. Not really a good vid for sound but better than nothing. In person it sounds amazing!! But anyway here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to6asRpkbQI&NR=1

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
I've got a RSR Ex-Mag and a test pipe on my N/A, and its almost silent inside at idle or cruising even with the trunk gutted. This is with the silencer in, quite a bit louder without it ;)

Clied said:
RSR.....I have a full 3 inch from teh turbo. It's not that loud or I just got use to it. And for teh price you can't really go wrong with teh RSR. Go to 935.

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
I have a blitz Nurspec 3" with a resonator and no cats.(just a test pipe) and not sure where the DP came from wqas on a motor I bought. its loud when I want it to be. but not so loud I couldnt pass DEQ here in OREGON. I can hold a converstion on the phone NP and my GF tells me she can hear me leave the APT in the AM till I hit 3rd gear.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Sound insulation is for the weak....plus it's heavy :p. I'm running a 3" turbo back with a divorced downpipe, and it honestly isn't super loud unless I'm pushing the car harder. I can carry on a normal conversation without it being obnoxious. Though...I love the sound of my exhaust :D