Engine swap or rebuild?

dorachagi

Oct 27, 2006
Memphis, TN
If you've got a case of rod knock, what's a better plan, rebuilding or buying a replacement engine? I'm ok with cars but I've never done a swap or rebuild before, and I only have basic tools and jackstands. Also, are there any good guides on rebuilding or swapping out a 7mgte?

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Rebuild, then you know whats there.

It costs more but hey, its all new!

..and check the tech tips for guides. Lots on rebuilding in there.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
with all the pain my 7m has cost me,

rebuld and througha mhg in there, you do it right once, and be a good car owner it'll last longewr then a jdm motor (by far) and outlast a jz motor.

mow dont no one start a thread war cause i said that. jz are dam good engines, and so are them m series, unfortunily some one at toyota rolled a fat joint when they where looking over the 7m design before it production line.

they missed the hg, and the springs get week in the oil system, squirters, oil relief in pump, by pass for oil cooler, so on.. atleast shim your oil pump. so you have about 10psi at hot idle, and you should be set,

when you have your block rebuilt ask for a 25ra surface or better, more mirrow shin the better, on BOTh the block and head.

rebuild your head now if needed, you'll save in the long run incase that thing is smoking,

and if you do start smoking after a full rebuild then you know it's your turbo or pcv system.. (clogged /hooked up wrong?)

new bearings and arp head studs ftw and your supra will put down over 300k if you treat her with new oil when she needs it.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I did the Swap thing, and after getting a BHG 500 miles after having my JDM engine in my car, I'd wish I'd just bought a 7M with a BHG from a junkyard and just rebuilt it... It costs less... +1 for Rebuild

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
For me it would depend on time and money.

If time and money isn't really a problem. Do a rebuild, do it right which will make it last a lot longer.

If you need the car up and going and don't have the money replace it. But don't just find one and drop it in you still need to replace seals, bearings and HG at the very least.

I bought a car with BHG, I would have love to rebuild it but I didn't have the money. So I replace rods and main bearins all seals, timing belt and HG with APR Studs. I have been running it for almost a year now on 13 psi with no problems what so ever.

dorachagi

Oct 27, 2006
Memphis, TN
Thanks for the replies all. I guess I'm leaning toward rebuild for the durability. If I'm pissed about this now I can't imagine how pissed I'd get if I bought another engine and it fell apart too, so I suppose I should just be patient and do it right.
So rumptis, if what you did is not a rebuild, how much more work is an actual rebuild? Also, since mine died because of oil starvation, not BHG, it likely has metal bits all through it now. Could I get away with just changing the rods, etc., or would the danger of loose metal that's already dispersed through the engine make it neccessary to get a full rebuild? I'm kinda guessing I need a full one.
Lastly, I've read about rebuilds some on the site, but I'm still pretty intimidated by the thought of doing it myself. I've pulled an engine from a 240sx with a buddy, worked at a shop building spec miatas for scca (but mostly doing, ya know, shop bitch work, as I wasn't qualified for much else), done basic stuff on my Honda, and read alot, but I've never worked on internals at all. I also don't really have access to or the budget for alot of special tools. So realistically, should I try to do this myself or fork over the cash for a shop to do it?
If I do go to a shop, how much money am I looking at spending for a full rebuild, and how long does it take?

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
Just do the rebuild. Drop off the short block at a machine shop have them disassemble it machine it and reasssemble it. Because you probally are going to need some sort of machine work done, and then you dont have to worry about you not kkowing what you are doing.