Engine suddenly runs like crap & stalls out

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Drove to the store earlier, and it was fine, get shopping, come back to the car, disarm the alarm. Car wouldnt start, tripped the alarm. Checked EFI fuse, was fine - no codes being thrown. Engine finally started after a jump start.

Barely got back - stalled twice when coming to junctions and slowing down, engine would just die. Oil pressure was normal, coolant temp was normal.

What could have caused it to just suddenly do this?

Bad connections? Bad coil pack? TPS out of whack, CPS wiring bollocksed?

Also - i didnt realise that 650rpm idle was normal. Its been previously idling at about 800rpm when warm.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Checked - it was a wiring issue - the coil pack plug to igniter wire was loose by the looks of it. However, bearing in mind its cold outside (4* or so), should there be white exhaust smoke? I say its white, it just looks rather a lot, and it doesnt smell oily, just of petrol.

Before you say BHG - theres no gurgling, coolant loss or a drop in system pressure.

Just excess water in the tailpipe being turned to steam or blown turbo seal?

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
i had that same problem and i thought it might be my o2 sensor so i replaced it and while i was under the hood i decided to make sure my timing belt was all lined up and it turned out that my idler pulley bolt backed itself out and my timing was all out of wack, i would go get a new o2 sens. first, it's cheap and worth it, if that fails check timing marks

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Kai said:
Not a clue dood. That would require more tools than i posess!

Have to wait for his holiness to arrive.

Check your boost gauge, it should be all the way down in the negative range at idle, it's best to check with an aftermarket gauge. IIRC you should be pulling around 21 hg/in (or whatever it's called) at idle.