Engine mount issues!

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
I'm so close to getting this freaking engine out but I can't get the bolts out of the engine mounts. The combination of them being torqued too much and in too dificult a spot to get to is making it impossible to get them out. I tried using a breaker bar and a u-joint socket extension through the whole in the frame from the unerside. The suspension is in the way though so I don't have a straight shot at it, hence the u-joint. I can't get enough leverage on it that way though. If I try getting at it from the top there's almost no room at all. Is there any easier way to get this off or something I can remove to make it easier. Keep in mind that I don't have compressed air so an impact wrench won't do. I need heeellpp!! I'm so close to getting this out and this is holding me back. Please help me.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I took the bolts off the top? :dunno: Centimeter by centimeter it finally came finger loose, just takes a good whack to get the nut started. Bottom wouldn't come off for anything.

-Chris

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
You can take them out with a 1/2 in drive breaker bar and 10 in extension, If you need more leverage put a piece of pipe on the breaker bar. All this is done from under the car through the holes in the sub frame.

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
I can't get straight to it though. If i jack up the suspension will the A arm swing out enough for me to get straight at it?

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
I remember doing this from the bottom(didn;t know there was another way of doing it), and it was a fun task. i had to lift the wheel and put it on a brick if i recall correctly. You just have to angle yourself properly and have a friend to stand above to help guide you. I did it with a wrench and extension. Good luck.

PEace.........

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
So i was able to somehow get the nuts off from the top with minimal effort. I don't what changed since yesterday other than my frustration level. Either way the nuts are now off. But...I can't get the bolts out. Will prying work to just pop them through or does unscrewing it work well enough. I know i should've tried this stuff first but I have work in a few minutes and this was quicker since I was gonna reply on this post anyway. I'll take any tips I can get. I'll be at it again either tonight or tomorrow. And then sunday should be the day of opening up and starting the rebuild:x:

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
I have done that. I was actually meaning to ask you guys about that though. How do I know how much to lift it up before I start loading the mounts again with the weight of the actual car hanging from the cherry picker. I was trying to unload it but then it got to a point where it started lifting the car up. I couldn't tell when it was unloaded.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
There should be a hole in both of the control arms underneath the car that enable you to get to the mount bolts.

There are 2 sets of bolts you can get. One that you can see from the top of the engine and the ones you can see from under the car. At least on the pre-89s. It's easier to put the engine back in if you do it from the bolts I mentioned,

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
Well I was trying to stop it before it lifts the car up but theres also gonna be a point where it starts loading the bolts again before even lifting the car up at all. I guess basically what your telling me is to use my judgement. I was just wondering if there was some easier way of telling. I know that you guys that have done with more than I have tend to have a lot of tricks for these kinds of things. And in response to the bolts I took the nuts off of the ones you can see from the bottom. The only thing is that now I need to get those bolts out. I kind of tried prying on them from the top but couldn't get much leverage. When I get back home again I guess I'll try turning them out from the bottom. Now that they don't have any nut tensioning them I assume they should be easier to turn. They've been in there for so long though that I'm not sure how well it will work. Maybe heating them up will do the trick

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
dcrusupra said:
There should be a hole in both of the control arms underneath the car that enable you to get to the mount bolts.

There are 2 sets of bolts you can get. One that you can see from the top of the engine and the ones you can see from under the car. At least on the pre-89s. It's easier to put the engine back in if you do it from the bolts I mentioned,

Yeah, I remember getting them from the hole through the control arms. I have a '91 model.

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
Don't forget that when you lift the engine the front of the car is going to raise a good bit because your taking a couple hundred pounds off the front springs. The mounts that are on the frame didn't have holes on my car they were slots. And if I remember the studs don't come out of the motor mounts, they're part of them.