Engine Knocking Any Suggestions??

flossinsince1986

Jul 27, 2006
Yakima
Ok well I'm pretty new to all this and Im trying to find some help for my engine knocking..I know that toyota recommends not exceeding psi of 8 pounds running through the turbo at constant rates on the stock engine..And I know they are right because I often run around 11 -15 psi and usually get engine knocking after constant pressures at this level...So basically Ill Im trying to figure out is if this is a common problem with the 1989 Toyota Supra Mk3 turbo? Can anyone suggest what may be my problem? What can I do to help this problem? Thanks! -Thomas

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
ummm...swap motors or time for an engine rebuild. if you go this route put performance in so you never have to take the motor apart again (well hopefully) oh and keep a close eye on your oil level

flossinsince1986

Jul 27, 2006
Yakima
jetjock said:
Yakima huh? Good apples.

Do you mean it's detonating or knocking mechanically? Is your knock sensor system working? Got any codes? Timing correct? Good fuel? Enough of it flowing? Mods? Cooling system OK? The same stuff that makes any car knock makes the Supra knock.

I really dont know that much about this area but im pretty sure it is detonating..only when I run boosts over 8 psi for a long period of time though..and I know the manual says to avoid this for that very reason but I want to figure out if there is anything I can do besides obviously rebuilding the engine..could i be running a little lean?? I run synthetic oil with premium gas always and the engine is in overall great shape

flossinsince1986

Jul 27, 2006
Yakima
joey_daze said:
are you running 15psi on a stock engine?
Well i know its well over 8 becuase the gauge only goes to 8 and even with the boost controller set on the very lowest setting for high boost it still goes well over the 8 mark, so i know its around 10-15 psi and yes on almost stock engine, has kn intake system with bigger downpipe and bigger exhaust with new pulleys and some other minor upgrades.

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
flossinsince1986 said:
Well i know its well over 8 becuase the gauge only goes to 8 and even with the boost controller set on the very lowest setting for high boost it still goes well over the 8 mark, so i know its around 10-15 psi and yes on almost stock engine, has kn intake system with bigger downpipe and bigger exhaust with new pulleys and some other minor upgrades.

The next thing you will hear is KABOOM!.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
So you increased the VE of the engine with better intake and exhaust, then further increased it by doubling the boost from stock (sorta, you don't even know what it is), then run that boost for extended periods of time, all without any fuel upgrades? Carry on, it'll be fine ;)

flossinsince1986

Jul 27, 2006
Yakima
jetjock said:
So you increased the VE of the engine with better intake and exhaust, then further increased it by doubling the boost from stock (sorta, you don't even know what it is), then run that boost for extended periods of time, all without any fuel upgrades? Carry on, it'll be fine ;)

Jetstock, im not so sure it doesnt have any fuel upgrades becuase when i bought it the previous owner did all the prior upgrading and im dont remember everything he said that he had done...what do you think i should do first to upgrade fuel? If i bought bigger injectors would i have to buy any other parts to make it compatiable???

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Remove the boost controller till you've a better grasp on what's what in the 7M. If you don't know if it's stock or upgraded, find out what a stock one looks like.
Intake/exh won't hurt a car, but boosting to idunnopsi is too much for someone who doesn't know their way around a MK3.

flossinsince1986

Jul 27, 2006
Yakima
supra90turbo said:
Remove the boost controller till you've a better grasp on what's what in the 7M. If you don't know if it's stock or upgraded, find out what a stock one looks like.
Intake/exh won't hurt a car, but boosting to idunnopsi is too much for someone who doesn't know their way around a MK3.

well your def right but im not about to go through the trouble of disconnecting the controllers when i can just simply turn them off...