Eliminating Oil Cooler for Good?

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
Well maybe I'm just lucky that my 170k mile stock bottom end has held up to18+ psi without an oil cooler on sub freezing days as well as 80F+ days. Because from the way it sounds, I should be counting my blessings for every time I start my car and it doesnt completely and totally implode on itself.

My engine is past due for catastrophic failure.

Only reason I got rid of it is because my new intercooler setup interfered with the oil cooler, I wasnt eliminating for it "weight reduction". I just never got around to installing my aftermarket aluminum oil cooler.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
It's usually not a great big issue to just relocate the stock oil cooler when you do this, most people do when they get anything bigger than the stock sized spearco and it's counterparts ;). Did you try and see if you could relocate it before you uninstalled it?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
s turbo 87 said:
Because from the way it sounds, I should be counting my blessings for every time I start my car and it doesnt completely and totally implode on itself.

It's not going to "implode" ;)
Not using a cooler is just not a very good idea for all of the reasons above. It's kinda like running a thick oil (actually worse)...it does not do the motor any favors. You have no protection at all if the oil overheats on extended runs...over time that will be bad.

The 7M oil system is actually pretty good...there are a couple of things that could use improvement, but if you are stock, it will take quite a bit of abuse (short of oil starvation). Think about it though...why abuse it at all?

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
I dont doubt you. I plan on installing an aftermarket oil cooler when I replace my engine, because even if the bottom end holds together, I still plan on replacing it relatively soon.

Running no oil cooler has probably caused damage that I'm not aware of....yet. But I guess I'll see what happens.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i removed my oil cooler.

but i replaced it with an 11x8 full flow B&M cooler along with a B&M 180* thermostat... ;)

-shaeff

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I'm thinking about running my car without an intercooler or the radiator. I think the open space will give me great air flow and cooling.

It'll be ok.

Right?RIGHT!?!?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jdub said:
The 7M oil system is actually pretty good...there are a couple of things that could use improvement, but if you are stock, it will take quite a bit of abuse (short of oil starvation). Think about it though...why abuse it at all?

To add to what jdub is saying, don't confuse your mostly stock setups and requirements with what adjuster and IJ need.

Pull your dipstick once a week and look at it. It isn't that hard.

CBLEGUY

Organic90T "Growin Roots"
Nov 24, 2006
Cape Coral, Florida
MPF_Supra said:
Just seeing who all has eliminated their oil cooler? I'm seriously thinking about doing it.

I was seriously thinking about eliminating my wheels and tires, Has anyone done this mod? Oh yea just to be more specific I have a 90 Turbo Targa(does that matter with this mod?)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
s turbo 87 said:
Well maybe I'm just lucky that my 170k mile stock bottom end has held up to18+ psi without an oil cooler on sub freezing days as well as 80F+ days. Because from the way it sounds, I should be counting my blessings for every time I start my car and it doesnt completely and totally implode on itself.

My engine is past due for catastrophic failure.

Only reason I got rid of it is because my new intercooler setup interfered with the oil cooler, I wasnt eliminating for it "weight reduction". I just never got around to installing my aftermarket aluminum oil cooler.
I assume you aren't at 18 psi at every stop light either.

It isn't luck. It is a well designed setup that is made for abuse. Becuase a lot of kids have managed to destroy these cars isn't a "design flaw".

I myself with stock applications have never had the following issues.

No code 52
No code 31
No code 24
No rodknock
No typical BHG. I burned one after leaning out the motor as far as I could on a GE.
And all the other "common problems" you read, I didn't have. One I did though.

I did have a frozen solenoid on the VSV for air intake control on a GE, and one on a FPU valve. That is the hard hot start. I don't think this car is nearly as bad as some have made it out to be.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Nick M said:
I assume you aren't at 18 psi at every stop light either.

It isn't luck. It is a well designed setup that is made for abuse. Becuase a lot of kids have managed to destroy these cars isn't a "design flaw".

I myself with stock applications have never had the following issues.

No code 52
No code 31
No code 24
No rodknock
No typical BHG. I burned one after leaning out the motor as far as I could on a GE.
And all the other "common problems" you read, I didn't have. One I did though.

I did have a frozen solenoid on the VSV for air intake control on a GE, and one on a FPU valve. That is the hard hot start. I don't think this car is nearly as bad as some have made it out to be.

Its funny what you say is true, I havn't had many problems with my car in the last 16,000 miles since I put it back on the road. If you came on here and read the forums you would think these things were made of glass and self distruct at the drop of a hat. 90% of problems I see are owner/operator inflicted. My car has a stock head gasket with stock bolts torqued to 72 lbs/ft, I run a stock turbo at 14psi on a stock fuel system have done numerous wot pulls up to 150mph the thing never misses a beat. the worst problem i have had was an oxygen sensor fail on me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Down but not out said:
90% of problems I see are owner/operator inflicted.

That is probably an accurate number based on what I read on the forums. SupraCentral is actually a little bit high in my estimation. He has it at 99%. :biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cletusxl9.gif