Economical Mods?

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
Hey I'm jus wondering, I'm totally stock right now, and I've read through the staged guides for modding the mk3 starting with the air filter ands tuff like that.

my question :

what mods ( if any ) can actually improve reliability and possibly fuel economy?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Brady said:
Hey I'm jus wondering, I'm totally stock right now, and I've read through the staged guides for modding the mk3 starting with the air filter ands tuff like that.

my question :

what mods ( if any ) can actually improve reliability and possibly fuel economy?

Well for reliability you should make sure your head gasket is in good shape. If you aren't going for much power you could just retorque the head bolts. You should pay good attention to your cooling and oiling systems as well.

For improving fuel mileage reducing restrictions in the intake/exhaust system will help. Intake, downpipe, exhaust, high flow cat (or test pipe) will all improve fuel mileage and increase power, because they are increasing efficiency. However, this will allow you to boost higher which will put more strain on the rest of the engine, putting the reliability at risk. This is why you should always make sure you car is in very good working order before going for power increasing mods.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
some things that also help is what the Volvo guys call stage 0 which is a whole tune up... New spark plugs, wires, checking/pressure testing intercooler pipes. lubing bearings, making sure breaks arn't sticking ect..

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^You really ARE stupid, NA was just joking, who knew he'd stumble upon the truth.

If you want to keep it the most reliable, don't touch it with anything but Toyota OEM parts. Basic flow mods do tend to bring up gas mileage, but if you've got a heavy foot you will lose some of that reliability.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Zazzn said:
some things that also help is what the Volvo guys call stage 0 which is a whole tune up... New spark plugs, wires, checking/pressure testing intercooler pipes. lubing bearings, making sure breaks arn't sticking ect..

I agree ^^ Just make sure everything is eh! Ok then mod from that.

Duane

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
mkIIIman089 said:
^You really ARE stupid, NA was just joking, who knew he'd stumble upon the truth.

Yep, I'm stupid. You caught me. :icon_roll

mkIIIman089 said:
Basic flow mods do tend to bring up gas mileage, but if you've got a heavy foot you will lose some of that reliability.

That's what I said:

swaq said:
For improving fuel mileage reducing restrictions in the intake/exhaust system will help. [...] However, this will allow you to boost higher which will put more strain on the rest of the engine, putting the reliability at risk.