Ebay BS or does this actually help?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Poodles said:
not snake oil, it does actually help (they've been doing the same for YEARS for carb'ed engines).

finaly someone who knows something.

These do help. i had a friend who put one on, while he noticed a few gains (minimal) it did make a difference in intake manifold temp. instead of burning your hand after a drive it was realitivly cool. i'd say a 50 degree drop.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I was watching that show on speed channel "Two Guys Garage" and they were advertising that Tornado thing.

:squint:

Don't think I'll be watching that show again.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Snake oil..

On a carbed engine it might help (talking about a Gasket not a Spacer), as it might decrease the aluminum temp of the manifold and since the manifold is wet it absorbs the heat better.. but really 10-20* different intake manifold temps isn't going to effect a dry manifold that much.. The Air isn't in the intake that long.. it MIGHT heat up the air 1-2* over the temp @ the TB.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
tornado could work, but the best is the cone that mounts in the center of the aircleaner and makes a soft curve into the carb...

A normal gasket doesn't work, it has to be a spacer (needs some thickness to keep it insulated), and I've seen them do runs on carb'ed engines with a normal spacer and a insulator one. The first few pulls don't have that much difference, but as everything heatsoaks it's more consistant.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
OneJoeZee said:
They say it makes a swirling effect or something which somehow equates to better gas mileage and a little more power.

:squint: X 2

its like rifling a gun, its spinning all of the air into your car! in a concentrated stream

of course i say F it and i dont believe it and i dont care... also i dont want something else to fall apart and fly into my turbo.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
tlo86 said:
of course i say F it and i dont believe it and i dont care... also i dont want something else to fall apart and fly into my turbo.

GOD, you put the tornado right before the throttle body noob, not before the turbo :nuts:

:D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Ah yes, a heat spacer. They are quite useful in theory, and in practice. They have been around a long time, and are used on EFI and carb applications in the domestic market. Yet, it is something you haven't seen, so it must not work.

Ever stop to think that in the grand scheme of things, you don't know jack shit?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
starscream5000 said:
GOD, you put the tornado right before the throttle body noob, not before the turbo :nuts:

:D

rofl oops i was thinking about the electric 'supercharger'

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Nick M said:
Ah yes, a heat spacer. They are quite useful in theory, and in practice. They have been around a long time, and are used on EFI and carb applications in the domestic market. Yet, it is something you haven't seen, so it must not work.

Ever stop to think that in the grand scheme of things, you don't know jack shit?

well put!

:bigthumb:

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Before I came to supras I built carbed v8 engines and I still get my subscriptions . In this months car craft they put a spacer on an engine and gained 23hp and it was still climbing before the valves floated.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
They are especially useful for those that run the quarter mile. Another old old trick is to then ice the intake manifold.