Easiest/best way to fill transmission w/ oil

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Red Line MT90 here and it made my transmission a little more quiet. Also, after a few days it seemed to get int Reverse a little easier (or, with less noise).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm with jdub, I even commented in that thread...

I've learned through experience, redline is far and above a better product than royal purple, and worth the extra cost and hassle to get (summit racing has MT90!!)

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
bowsercake said:
Red Line MT90 here and it made my transmission a little more quiet. Also, after a few days it seemed to get int Reverse a little easier (or, with less noise).

Helpful hint, this is what I do (manual trans if thats what ur driving) put clutch in, pop the shifter in 2nd or 4th then over into reverse, it wont hit or make a noise.... unless ur talking about some other noise

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
phoenix6 said:
Helpful hint, this is what I do (manual trans if thats what ur driving) put clutch in, pop the shifter in 2nd or 4th then over into reverse, it wont hit or make a noise.... unless ur talking about some other noise

Any forward gear will work.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I used it in my N/A diff with no adverse effects as of yet. Although my tranny is getting pulled this weekend, so what do i know. :D

Though I wasn't aware of the hatred that brews around here for RP. If I would've known before buying, I would have gotten redline stuff or the Ford 75w-90.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There's no "hatred" for RP...that gear oil contains friction modifiers intended for an LSD differential. It's not intended for use in a tranny that specifies a 75W or 80W-90 like the R154/W58.

There are a couple others that also contain friction modifiers...Red Line 75W-90 is one of them. If you want to use Red Line gear oil in a tranny, the 75W-90NS or MT90 (like Jeff said...better option too IMO) is what you want...no friction modifiers. Ford 75W-90 and Pennzoil 75W-90 synthetics (the API GL-4 type) do not contain the modifiers and will work well. Mobil 1 on the other hand, does contain friction modifiers and is just as bad as RP for the R154/W58.

One clue is to look for a GL-4 specification..."generally" these gear oils do not have the modifiers as part of the formula. GL-5 oils "generally" do have the modifiers.

Canadian - So, yes you can use the RP in your LSD...you will need 2 quarts (1.6 is differential capacity...or something close to that). Make sure you remove the fill plug 1st before you drain the differential. ;)

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Jdub,
I went into Lordco (where I found they had RP and redline oil in town) (I think it's a Canadian autoparts store simular to autozone)
Anyways, I went to exchange the RP for the Redline MT-90 as recommended. The guy at the parts counter tried to tell me that Redline was crap and I should stick with the RP I originally got. Then I tried to tell him what you guys told me and he kind of rolled his eyes.

But I got the MT-90 and it was cheaper too, so thats a plus.

Thanks guys, at least SM knows what they are talking about...damn autoparts store:icon_evil

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
I use Red Line MT90 as well. It make day and night different compare to the oil in there before. Shifting feel like a brand new trany.
Oh yeah, the easiest way to pour it in is thru the shifter. Little stinky but that the less messy way. The filler plug is on the passenger side.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
canadian said:
Jdub,
I went into Lordco (where I found they had RP and redline oil in town) (I think it's a Canadian autoparts store simular to autozone)
Anyways, I went to exchange the RP for the Redline MT-90 as recommended. The guy at the parts counter tried to tell me that Redline was crap and I should stick with the RP I originally got. Then I tried to tell him what you guys told me and he kind of rolled his eyes.

But I got the MT-90 and it was cheaper too, so thats a plus.

Thanks guys, at least SM knows what they are talking about...damn autoparts store:icon_evil

Yeah...stopped a long time ago trying to "educate" the parts store know-it-alls on anything concerning oil...they are some of the worst when it comes to the many oil myths floating around. I assure you Red Line is far from being anything close to crap...Red Line makes some of the best synthetic oils available.

You made a good choice...let us know how the MT-90 works for you ;)

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Well I put the RP max-gear oil in my tranny after i swapped my gte in. well imediately I noticed 2nd start to grind when downshifting and eventually started grinding when I shifted from 1st. So i'm thinking, well it's a 214,000km w58 and I threw a fresh, higher than stock boost, gte infront of it. So maybe the tranny is just on it's way out.

Thn I stumbled upon this thread and read the link about the RP.. well yesterday I got the tranny nice and hot and drained that RP crap out and filled it with 2.5q of MT-90... took it for a test drive, didn't notice THAT much of an improvement, still fairly notchy, no grinding tho. Drove it for a while yesterday, and a while today. Like others before have said, the difference is night and day. Not a single grind since the rp was removed and shifts like butter. The tranny makes a lot less noise aswell. Before I couldn't get it into second if i was going faster than 30km/h, now i can easily slide it into second doing any speed (well over what the redline would be in 2nd!)...

Cliffnotes: Royal Purple Max-Gear = Garbage! Almost killed my tranny!
Redline Synthetic MT-90 = The best thing ever! Feels like a new tranny!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Case in point for using a gear oil with friction modifiers meant for a LSD ;)

I want to point out RP gear oil is actually very good...the problem is when you try to use it in a manual tranny. The friction modifiers are too "slick" and over come the friction required for the syncros to work properly. This will happen with ANY gear oil that has friction modifiers in the formula intended for an LSD. If you use RP in your LSD (as it was intended), it will perform well for you.

As usual, the devil is in the details on a Supra ;)

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
suprarx7nut said:
Everyone seems to be complaining about how hard it is to fill... I don't get it.

I thought it was rather easy with my $5 oil pump, but I may have to try the shifter way since everyone seems to think its sooooo much better.

yea I did the same thing and it didn't phase me as hard at all...

abda53

Sep 16, 2007
Bay Area
heres a noob question..

i tried taking the shifter out to do this... but didnt see how to take the shift boot off without taking the whole panel out? but ive seen pictures where people just had the boot out, and the actual shifter comes straight out from there. what am i not seeing?

also does the oil just go straight into it once the shifter is out?

thanks!