Drivetrain issues.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Its getting worse and its definetly time I do something about it, The rear end is really clunky now, I rarely beat on the car but I think its just a wear and tear thing from the rough roads here. Im taking the car off the road for winter soon so il have no problem tearing it apart, I have a press and torches and all kinds of tools, bushings should be a problem. So far heres the list of what I know I need to order:

Driveshaft Center support bearing
No.2 lower arm "ball bushings"
Energy Suspension rear bushing kit
Marlin Crawler shifter bushings, ordering stuff for my truck from them aswell.
Struts

My limited slip has a bit of clatter so il have to change the fluid and see if that helps. The w58 has a whine downshifting in 2nd and faintly in 3rd, again fluid needs doing but I need more input on this issue, probably not just the fluid.

Anything else I should deal with back there?

well, are you sure it's the LSD and not the center bearing on the 2 piece drive shaft. Also U/V joints? Those can make a lot of clattering and clunking :]

My w58 that I bought used and it had over 120,XXX on it whenever i switched mine from auto.

It wines, only if i down shift when the rpms are high on the gear I'm down shifting from.

But i rev match whenever i downshift, so i never hear the noise over the engine.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
BlackDynamite;1198070 said:
well, are you sure it's the LSD and not the center bearing on the 2 piece drive shaft. Also U/V joints? Those can make a lot of clattering and clunking :]

My w58 that I bought used and it had over 120,XXX on it whenever i switched mine from auto.

It wines, only if i down shift when the rpms are high on the gear I'm down shifting from.

But i rev match whenever i downshift, so i never hear the noise over the engine.

Yeah the LSD definetly makes some noise, its kind of like a faint ratcheting noise, noticeable after a long drive when its warm, the ball joint/bushing things make a clunking sound, some clatter aswell.. they are definetly worn, U/C bushings are worn, if I jack up the car I can grab the tire at 9 and 3 and wiggle it side to side, I can see the play in the bushings. The center support makes it feel like it has "axle wrap" like a pickup on leaf springs, and clunks on hard shifts.. the rubber is worn pretty bad. Ive learned to drive it carefully and for the most part its smooth as glass, but I dont like driving like that.

The front seems to be solid though, notice a slight clunking in the steering rack but nothing at all serious.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well, my local auto parts store wont believe me that Energy makes a bushing kit for the Supra so.. guess il order it myself, I see Summit racing has the rear set listed on their site? Anyone else I can order it through? I need the rear set ASAP as my car is starting to have some bad alignment problems, and I want to replace all the wear items in one shot.

surf24365

Aug 19, 2006
New Jersey
Check Suprasport.com for the energy suspension bushing kits, they just started to carry them maybe a month ago. Also, dont make the same mistake I did... A replacement carrier bearing for the driveshaft is rather expensive and that two piece shaft is a piece of garbage anyway ( I twisted two of them up inside themselves causing the shaft to shorten and come out of the trans.) for $300 you can get a custom stainless steel one piece shaft from the suprasport web site that comes complete with Chromoly U-Joints, its much lighter than the stock one and best of all its rated to 600hp! Mine went in perfect and the car accelerates quicker and smoother than ever. definitly a mod well worth the money.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
surf24365;1200490 said:
Check Suprasport.com for the energy suspension bushing kits, they just started to carry them maybe a month ago. Also, dont make the same mistake I did... A replacement carrier bearing for the driveshaft is rather expensive and that two piece shaft is a piece of garbage anyway ( I twisted two of them up inside themselves causing the shaft to shorten and come out of the trans.) for $300 you can get a custom stainless steel one piece shaft from the suprasport web site that comes complete with Chromoly U-Joints, its much lighter than the stock one and best of all its rated to 600hp! Mine went in perfect and the car accelerates quicker and smoother than ever. definitly a mod well worth the money.

Yeah thought about a 1 piece, $300 + shipping + exchange rate, by the time it gets here thats over $500 easily. Im picking up a used center support for now, im going to try and press in new rubber from an "autozone" center support and see how that works. Found out energysuspensionparts.com has the rear kit for $54 US so il order it through them.