dp question

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
I was wondering about the becauseican divorced dp. How do you change the setting. Is there some kind of plate on it to change how you want to run it.

Last edited:

Poatree

May 14, 2005
Edmonton
www.shiftin.com
In most DDPs i believe the section that vents directly out is only used when you hit full boost, when the wastegate is open. Therefore there is no real need to adjust anything :)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
huntin5L said:
I was wondering about the becauseican divorced dp. How do you change the setting. Is there some kind of plate on it to change how you want to run it.

what are you trying to change? i dont understand....its not a boost controller... :nuts: :nuts:

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
well doesn't the ddp that because i can have a pipe coming off it that you can use when you want to run the exhaust from the turbo right out to the open

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
huntin5L said:
well doesn't the ddp that because i can have a pipe coming off it that you can use when you want to run the exhaust from the turbo right out to the open

not quite. your thinking of a electronic cutout, which is a butterfly valve that can direct your exaust out the tailpipe or out another large diamiter, mufflerless pipe you have. the ddp has a big pipe for the exhaust and then alittle pipe for the exhaust coming out of the wastegate. this makes for better flow but its also loud as hell when the wastegate is open becuse thats unmufflered exhaust.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
right that is what im talking about the exhaust from the wastegate. There is a pipe that allows you to run your exhaust from the wastegate right off the dp. Like you said it is loud. How do you change if you want the exhaust from the wastegate out to the exhaust or out to the open. Correct me if my thinking is off.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
huntin5L said:
right that is what im talking about the exhaust from the wastegate. There is a pipe that allows you to run your exhaust from the wastegate right off the dp. Like you said it is loud. How do you change if you want the exhaust from the wastegate out to the exhaust or out to the open. Correct me if my thinking is off.

theres no "changing"...its either vented or not...meaning you have the ddp or a regular dp...or you have the ddp recirculated back in later down in the exhaust stream... either way its permenant.

its not THAT loud ;)

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
huntin5L said:

yep, thinking is still off. maybe you should do some reading on wastgates. with a ddp, wastgate exhaust will never go out the dp. otherwise it would not be a ddp, it would be just a dp. the wastgate is only open when it is trying to controll how much boost the turbo is making. the BIC ddp has mo movable parts, just pipes. there is no way you can adjust it. i'm not going to go into a big write up on wastegates and turbos and such because there is alot of good info out there that will answer your question. just hit up google. may i also suggest a book called "Maximum Boost, Designing Testing and Installing Turbocharger Systems" by Corky Bell. you can find that on amazon.com for a good price and it is my bible when it comes to just about anything related to engines and turbos.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
okay i gotcha. So it is permanant and can't be changed to recirculate back to the exhaust. That was all i was trying to get at. I can't have it being loud so i guess the divorced dp is out of the question. Ill get the regular dp he has.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
you could just get a recirculated DDP, if you want. there are still gains from it, just have him re-route it back to where the dp is horizontal.

-shaeff

M

MisterTurbineTwister

I have actually seen dual outlet divorced downpipes that were quiet. I saw a RB20DET powered '71 Datsun 280Z running a road coarse type 3" side outlet exhaust from in front of the passengers side rear wheel and another 1.5" outlet right behind the front passengers side wheel for the divorced wastegate exhaust tubing. Both outlets exhaust were channeled through the rocker panel. He was running a small resonator muffler on the wastegate tubing 4-6" before the outlet and it looked awesome and was still quiet