Downpipe upgrade

s30gtte

Aug 28, 2011
CA
I just recently purchased a 1987 Supra turbo and finally got it to run right. I am in the market for a down pipe and had a few questions. First off I was looking into the BIC divorced down pipe(recirculated), but I wanted to clarify a few things. So the divorced downpipe has a waste gate dump tube that has signifcant gains, but is annoying to drive on a daily basis. If I were to get a recirculate divorced downpipe, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of a divorced downpipe?? If so what is recommended? The other alternative is I was looking into the drift motions downpipe. Just want to get away from the restrictive elbow. Any other downpipe recommended?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Open ddp is loud. Recirc Is bit any louder than dm big mouth but with better gains.

But in short anythIng better than a stick elbow is a gain

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I daily drive with a open dump DDP, 3" test pipe & catback. It's not THAT annoying. Just gotta be gentle on the gas around cops lol

s30gtte

Aug 28, 2011
CA
Moy;1757794 said:
I daily drive with a open dump DDP, 3" test pipe & catback. It's not THAT annoying. Just gotta be gentle on the gas around cops lol

I am in California, gotta deal with the CHP, Sheriffs and your city cops!! How much do you enjoy your DDP though? Is it really worth it? I am really torn by that and the DM downpipe.

xnuclear23

Nov 6, 2010
California SoCal
Since your in Cali like me I would suggest the recirculated DDP or DM Downpipe, unless you mind getting hassled, pulled over, and getting sent to a ref. The sound of the non-recirculated DDP is not worth it to me, if you like the sound that much just get a cutout and you will have a similar sound and have the power gains from the non-recirculated DDP.

s30gtte

Aug 28, 2011
CA
xnuclear23;1757979 said:
Since your in Cali like me I would suggest the recirculated DDP or DM Downpipe, unless you mind getting hassled, pulled over, and getting sent to a ref. The sound of the non-recirculated DDP is not worth it to me, if you like the sound that much just get a cutout and you will have a similar sound and have the power gains from the non-recirculated DDP.

Yeah I am not looking for that unwanted attention, but what do you mean cut out?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
just get a recirculated divorced downpipe, 3" metal core catalytic converter, and a HKS turbo exhaust (3" piping, dual tip like stock)

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
I'm in california and daily my supra with a DDP non recirculated, no cat and 3 inch exhaust. I've never really been hasseled by the police. Ive asked a few of my cop buddies and his exact quote was, " if I heard that I really don't think I'd be looking at your car as the source of the noise. I'm looking for a diesel!" In California just be cautious of your surroundings and drive the car normally when any trouble arises. Now I will also add I still have my 3 inch drift motion down pipe and when the noise does get irritable, I put the DM down pipe on and go about my business. If you like being loud go for it, but it's a big purchase to be unhappy with, but in the same sense if you don't like it I'm sure somebody will snap it up pretty quick if you put it up for sale. Good luck

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I like the HKS downpipe, even though it does have the flex pipe but it gave me the same performance and sound from straight pipe pretty much, but i also have blitz nur exhaust and i love it

s30gtte

Aug 28, 2011
CA
xnuclear23;1758026 said:
by cut-outs i mean something like this.. They can also be electrically controlled, so that with a flip of a switch you can go from open downpipe back to normal exhaust flow.
http://www.installuniversity.com/in...haust_cutout_explanation/exhaust_cutout_1.jpg

Man that looks bitchin. I dont know where to find a electronic controlled one, but bic does have one for sale for $155. Kinda expensive.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Compton74;1758024 said:
I'm in california and daily my supra with a DDP non recirculated, no cat and 3 inch exhaust. I've never really been hasseled by the police. Ive asked a few of my cop buddies and his exact quote was, " if I heard that I really don't think I'd be looking at your car as the source of the noise. I'm looking for a diesel!" In California just be cautious of your surroundings and drive the car normally when any trouble arises. Now I will also add I still have my 3 inch drift motion down pipe and when the noise does get irritable, I put the DM down pipe on and go about my business. If you like being loud go for it, but it's a big purchase to be unhappy with, but in the same sense if you don't like it I'm sure somebody will snap it up pretty quick if you put it up for sale. Good luck

Let me ask you something, is your a significant gain from switching from the DM dp to the DDP? Did you feel a difference in power, performance and acceleration? If so explain. I want to know so I dont regret my selection.

xnuclear23

Nov 6, 2010
California SoCal
s30gtte;1758341 said:
Man that looks bitchin. I dont know where to find a electronic controlled one, but bic does have one for sale for $155. Kinda expensive.

There are cheaper ones, just Google "exhaust cutouts" and click the shopping tab and browse the ones they have to get an idea on the price it would cost to run the setup you have in mind

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
s30gtte;1758341 said:

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Let me ask you something, is your a significant gain from switching from the DM dp to the DDP? Did you feel a difference in power, performance and acceleration? If so explain. I want to know so I dont regret my selection.

I honestly do think so, my butt dyno sure says performance has changed. The biggest thing that people don't get told is that the noise from the down pipe is not just at full throttle you can hear the turbo spool up, and as soon as the waste gate opens the noise gets more and more prevalent until you hit full boost and then it roars! But yea I'd say all three of those items have gone up, may not be extremely significantly but yes it does feel different.

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
Im running the bic ddp,deffinete performance gain im getting 12lbs of boost on stock wastegate.I love the sound of the turbo spooling when cruisng down the road and its quite untill you get on it and start boostn.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Just for example I run 16lbs of boost and I will start to hear the roar around 10-11 psi and it gets louder and louder until I hit 16