Doward's Build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The Project:

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo. 57 trim CT26 from MDCMotorsports. 16psi.

Lost ~40 psi compression on #3, #5, #6 cylinders, on 212k mile 7MGTE.

Current Status:

Engine:
Crankshaft: 7M, Stock, will be re-machined and upgraded.
Crank Scraper: Once the shortblock is assembled, custom crank scraper will be made @ Ishihara-Johnson.
Connecting Rods: Eagle Forged Rods with 3/8" ARP2000 Bolts
Pistons: Wiseco 83.5mm Forged, with 1.0/1.2/2.8 rings.
(Entire rotating assembly to be lightened, and zero balanced)
Bearings: Genuine Clevite 77 P series throughout
Block: Will be bored with a torque plate, mains trued and honed.
Harmonic Damper: ATI harmonic damper for the 7M.
Flywheel: 12lbs Chromoly lightweight Ebay flywheel.

Transmission/Driveline:
Currently a worn out, slipping A340e. Replacing with a rebuilt (by me) manual transmission:
R154, new design synchros, new bearings, new seals. New Marlin Crawler HD bearing retainer. New Marlin Crawler nylon seats + shifter bushing.
Stock r154 drivetrain, unless budget allows for a one piece aluminum driveshaft.

Turbo/Exhaust:
57 trim CT26, unclipped, from Jon @ MDCMotorsports. Will break in on stock boost, and move back toward 16psi.
3" Divorced Downpipe, recirculated, with flex section. 3" mandrel bent exhaust, no catalytic convertor. Magnaflow 3" in, dual 2.5" out stainless steel straight through muffler.

Fuel System:
Currently stock injectors and pressure regulator. Walbro 255 already installed, with drilled J-tube. Once break in is complete, moving to Denso 550s + Aeromotive AFPR.

Engine Management:
Stock TCCS + MAFT-Pro. Currently running Speed Density with no AFM in the system. Zetronix ZT-2 keeps tabs on my AFRs. Will be adding an EGT probe as soon as time permits.

Pics as this comes together. :naughty:

victorw210

Mar 4, 2007
st.charles
that sounds nice.not to be nosy but i hope to build something close to what your doing and wanna know how much your spending on this project.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
wow, asside from the engine internals and 5sp swap were gonna be running identical setups :) looking forward to seeing your progress and results!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Price? About $1700 in parts in the bottom end. I'll probable have another $1000-$1500 in machine work done, as well.

Let's just say, the bottom end is being built for good reason, and what I have now is just going to be used to break it all in ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Waiting on them to arrive. Tech I talked to @ Summit said they still had some of the real deals, and he'd send me a set of mains/rods/thrust washers!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Figures... check up on my order status, and it says everything shipped today (3/19/07) The only tracking number up, though, is 'Box A' and it's just got the 2.25" mandrels, muffler, and flex section for the damn '88 Accord (beater) :3d_frown:

I want to make damn sure these are real Clevites!

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Doward said:
Price? About $1700 in parts in the bottom end. I'll probable have another $1000-$1500 in machine work done, as well.

Let's just say, the bottom end is being built for good reason, and what I have now is just going to be used to break it all in ;)

I feel so lucky knowing the reason of this bottom end! haha

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
SHHHHH!! ;) I'm not 100% certain we're going to go with what I talked about... but so far, that seems the best overall way for me to go :) It's going to really come down to exactly how well I can tune her...

Damper and Bearings arrive day after tomorrow. Man, I love Summit!

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Doward said:
SHHHHH!! ;) I'm not 100% certain we're going to go with what I talked about... but so far, that seems the best overall way for me to go :) It's going to really come down to exactly how well I can tune her...

Damper and Bearings arrive day after tomorrow. Man, I love Summit!

I will be quiet as a mouse.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
atidamper.JPG

bearing.JPG

Grr... not sure what to make of these bearings. You see they are stamped 'AK' - WTF. They do have the full oil grooves on the mains, though. Rod bearings arrive tomorrow with the thrust washers.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
what?! no "pimp black dash" or "used but in decent shape black shifter boot" in the build thread ;)

looks like a solid buildup so far man... im jealous i want that ati dampner... do you know if it comes self balanced enough to stick it on a rotating assembly without having it all balanced together? IE: putting that on without taking apart the car lol

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yep, it is neutral balanced from ATI.

I'll still have it checked over when I have the rotating assembly zero balanced (damper/crank/pistons/rods/flywheel)

BTW, that pimp black dash is sitting in my spare room - Engine work will always take precedence over beautification. Go > Show, here ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Dammit - life gets in the way. Looks like I'm going to be buying a house, so I have to get the Supra mobile again ASAP, and can't afford to take my time on it.

JDM engine swap, and I'll hang on to my current motor until I get my housing situation straightened out.

Bright side is, I'm going to make sure I get a place with a 2 stall garage - so I won't have to worry about working on my cars anymore :D

So yeah, this build is officially on hold. :3d_frown: