Dont let people use yur shit: and why I hate computers...

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
It sounds like your power supply just died, replace it (they are fairly cheap) then she should boot right up. If not sent her to me, and I will frix her up for ya.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Looks like I'm a bit late...

Anyway, from what I gather, the comp isn't posting BIOS and thus, isn't starting up at all (no video feed, no beeps on start up, ect). If it doesn't post bios I would point the finger at the mobo/PSU. I think a computer doesn't need anything except RAM and a mobo to post BIOS. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

If it does post bios but doesn't get past it (to loading the OS), could be any number of things from failed HD, RAM incompatabilities (unlikely since nothing has been changed), RAM failure (very likely). IRQ conflicts can cause wierd shit to happen as well.

While I realize the above doesn't help much... I do just want to point out that I think it may be random coincidence that it up and died when your roommate was using it. It certainly doesn't sound like a software issue here. Sounds like something is baked, bettered, and fried. Software problems tend to happen in the operating system environment... which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Good luck.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
CPU/Mem/Video/MB and Power for BIOS.

If its not beeping on startup - ie, an error beep, then its not the memory - that would be one long, and three short beeps in a row. If it were Video it would be one long continuous beep. It's either the CPU gone dead (doubtful that the motherboard would be at fault) or the PSU, as others have said.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
Creative means of mounting a 120mm fan slot in your clear plastic case. Lets just say cutting failed, I was tired and I had a blow-torch. Runs nice and cool now though, about 5 degrees off of what my friend's identical comp runs (for prolonged 100% cpu use).

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Hey hey, I like that, lol... I dunno if I'd do that to my comp, but it looks cool...

Ok, no beeps, no clicks, no whistles, no nothin... So, maybe PSU isnt making enough juice to light everything up?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Maybe its not completely dead... Maybe its just dead enough that it wont run anything... Like a dying alternator in your car, the head lights come on, just dim, and it wont run the accessories...