dont know whats wrong...

supratj

god tina, eat some ham...
Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
ok well i have been putting up threads and found some help, but my car still is messed up and havent gotten any responses lately... my car is running rich, i just replaced the o2 sensor today bcuz it was the original one in the car, im still throwing a 32, 51 code, now i havent driven it, just in the garage on stands, but when idling( once warmed up) it starts backfiring almost every 5 seconds, and my air fuel gauge goes from lean to rich everytime it backfires, would either one of the 2 codes have anything to do with this?? i dont have the money to get the stuff or take it anywhere to be diagnosed, i just wana know whats wrong, im not that great when it comes to electrical circiuts, and i need to know what im looking at here, plus i dont wana buy anything i dont need to... please any help at all...... thanx

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 51 is likely the TPS...do a search here...it's been beat to death the past few weeks. Likely it's the TPS, but the ECU is also indicated as a trouble area.

Code 32 is the AFM for the NA motor, open or short circuit in the HAC sensor signal for the turbo motor. Bad news for the turbo...the ECU is indicated as the trouble area as the only option.

Do you have access to another ECU you could swap out and see?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Did you happen to hook your battery up backwards...even for a few seconds when you put the new motor in?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...I looked at your profile and see you have an '87. You may be in luck. The HAC sensor is a 3 prong sensor that plugs into PRE-'89 HARNESSES ONLY. All 89+ cars have the HAC sensor built into the ECU...that's where I got the trouble area for code 32 (I have a '89+ TRSM). For pre-'89 ECUs, the HAC sensor is behind the glove box.

Since you have a pre-'89 harness, somewhere along from the ECU plugs, (a little further back on the main part of the harness) you'll have three wires coming off with a three prong plug that goes to the HAC sensor. HAC stands for High Altitude Compensation. It allows the ECU to adjust the Air/fuel ratios for different altitudes.

Some of the guys here have run without one with no problem...some have had the same type of symptoms as you do...studder/backfire.

You need to get the code 51 fixed as well...adjusting the TPS per the TRSM will usually fix it. It can make the conditions you're describing worse...the combination of these two codes is really messing with your timing and mixture.

BTW...where is your timing set? When you installed the CPS, did you line up the notch and hole on the shaft with the crank pulley and cam gears indexed?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
51 is not the problem. It is letting the technician know that he put his foot on the accelerator pedal when in diagnostic mode, or that potentiometer has a worn spot and it should be adjusted a bit.

If you have a muffler explosion backfire, you are running rich, as your meter indicates. I would suggest following the TSRM closely in the troubleshooting with a volt/ohm meter section, not the generic one that comes first. You can have a problem with a critical input, and not set a code if the sensor isnt completely out of its operating range.

supratj

god tina, eat some ham...
Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
i had the timing and everything at zero tdc all the marks lined up, then when i started it, i adjusted it to 10 degrees, but with everything thats wrong, is it possible that im making it worse by trying to adjust the timing while something is fucked up??

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 51 is sure as heck part of the problem. The IDL contact in the TPS must be closed to set base timing...the ISC system is inactive with IDL open. This results in a very inconsistent idle...you set timing with the engine warm at normal idle of 650 rpm. If you set timing with it like this, the timing mark probably was jumping all over the place.

Fix what's causing the codes...both code 32 and 51...then check your timing.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Just adjust the TPS sensor per the TRSM...if it still throws a code after being adjusted correctly, replace it. Check the HAC sensor under the glovebox...you might just have forgot to connect it when you connected up the ECU. If it's already hooked up, you will probably have to replace it.

A ECU failing is fairly rare...that's why I asked if you happened to hook the battery up backwards. That's a sure fire way to fry an ECU ;)