don't ask me how i pulled it off (06 vette)

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
So today I'm just cruising around town after fixing some idle problems and getting some stuff to fix my dome lights and rewire my fogs and a grey 06 corvette pulls up along side me at a red light and touches the gas a few times...keep in mind this is the base model, not the Z06. I figure what the hell he'll stomp me but it'll be fun anyway, so I look over and give him a nod. The other light turns yellow and we bring the RPM's up, ours turns green and he gets a car on me through the launch. He pulls another car through first and second as my SP61GT tries to spool up, but getting into third he started to lose some ground and I made some back. I pulled on him all through third and halfway through fourth before we were neck and neck, looking at each other like "HOLY ****!". I cut it off at the end of 4th gear...so I assume we were going in the neighborhood of 100+mph (i wasn't paying attention to the speedo).

Needless to say I was absolutely stunned...granted my engine is fully built and running 342whp at 17psi, I was still amazed that I was not only able to pull on, but catch up to a corvette...i think the cars behind us were pretty stunned too! I'm starting to believe that it was just the other driver's ability that lost him the race instead of the cars, because even though my car has 60 fewer horsies he definately has me in the weight department...even with the AC, PS, deck trim, and all emissions stuff removed on mine. Anyways I'm pretty psyched up about it :D

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
well.. you never know what a boosted powerband could do compared to an NA one. you're talking about horsepower. look at a dyno graph. youve got horsepower all over the place... depends what rpm. torque means more anyway... and turbos love to give awfully nice torque.... curves.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
SupraDreamPDR said:
nice kill... dont be so hard on your car... maybe it can do the impossible? our cars arent exactly 'slow' :biglaugh:

yeah maybe I just don't know what my car can do...to tell the truth I'm scared to push it to it's outer limits, and taking on the corvette was the hardest I've ever pushed the car. Maybe I just don't know what neither the car nor myself are really capable of when it comes down to it....or maybe the other guy had the "i've got a corvette, silly mortal!" attitude and thought his car would make up for any driving inability (or other things >.> ).....not to say I'm a good driver, quite the contrary.

Last edited:

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
If you have 342hp at the wheels, then you are right on par with a new vette. Your car is heavier, but once you're moving that starts to mean alot less. Looks like he underestimated you and lost, nice kill.

superiorsupra

Apr 1, 2005
ceres
with 342whp, you should be able to hang and possibly beat a 06 vette any day. They come with 400 at the crank, which is about the same hp at the wheels as you. Very nice kill though!!!

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Wow. How am I bragging about pooping on a Stang GT when you took one of these!:) Nice kill, I LOVE seeing the look on their faces after you beat them in their brand new $xx,000 car! :)

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Jspec7m88 said:
Wow. How am I bragging about pooping on a Stang GT when you took one of these!:) Nice kill, I LOVE seeing the look on their faces after you beat them in their brand new $xx,000 car! :)

i'd brag about pooping on a GT stang too, just because people think there crazy fast...but the corvette kill sounds so much better to people who don't know cars, especially those domestic loving hicks...I can see it now, "yall bet a vette in that thar japernese hunk a junk...he musta took er easy on yall"

In fact I think the rumor really is getting around town...I had some ricer come up to me in autozone today and ask me if I was the one who took down the grey corvette, and told me good job. Word gets around in a small town, eh?

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
You're a celebrity!! Nice kill man. My dad has a base line 04 automatic vette. When i get my new turbo on im gonna make him race me... hehe...

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Good kill! I pulled one from 30-70mph, but I was never really sure that he was all the way into it? Maybe he was?! Juast don't try one out on the freeway, unless you are ready to see the speedo needle pass 160mph:aigo: they have really good top end....more stable than our Supra's at the high speeds. You should definately not try a new Z06! They are in a word...FAST!:icon_razz I think a Supra would have to bring about 550whp+ to the table, to even have a fightin' chance against a C-6 Z06

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Tom, I think you have an overinflated idea of the Corvette's power levels.

The Z06 is 400 lbs lighter, and comes with 505bhp, but only 470 torque. Assuming ~15% drivetrain loss, the computer program I wrote says that 450 whp / 450 wheel torque should put us on pretty even ground, anything more and you are going to be facing one upset Corvette driver.

Considering the cost to get your Supra to 450 at the wheels, he's going to be even more bitter when you point out that your car is on the road more than it's in the shop, (unlike *every* 'Vette I've ever known), cost less than 30% to buy and build, and still has more features despite being 20 years older.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
GrimJack said:
Tom, I think you have an overinflated idea of the Corvette's power levels......

that does kind of put things into perspective for me...I seem to overestimate a lot of cars in town, and underestimate my own. The corvette kill, once I figured out that guy really was into it, prettymuch changed my mind about my car only being moderately fast. Hell I think it's too fast for somebody my age, I need some $500 beater like everyone else in my school!

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
wingman said:
So today I'm just cruising around town after fixing some idle problems and getting some stuff to fix my dome lights and rewire my fogs and a grey 06 corvette pulls up along side me at a red light and touches the gas a few times...keep in mind this is the base model, not the Z06. I figure what the hell he'll stomp me but it'll be fun anyway, so I look over and give him a nod. The other light turns yellow and we bring the RPM's up, ours turns green and he gets a car on me through the launch. He pulls another car through first and second as my SP61GT tries to spool up, but getting into third he started to lose some ground and I made some back. I pulled on him all through third and halfway through fourth before we were neck and neck, looking at each other like "HOLY ****!". I cut it off at the end of 4th gear...so I assume we were going in the neighborhood of 100+mph (i wasn't paying attention to the speedo).

Needless to say I was absolutely stunned...granted my engine is fully built and running 342whp at 17psi, I was still amazed that I was not only able to pull on, but catch up to a corvette...i think the cars behind us were pretty stunned too! I'm starting to believe that it was just the other driver's ability that lost him the race instead of the cars, because even though my car has 60 fewer horsies he definately has me in the weight department...even with the AC, PS, deck trim, and all emissions stuff removed on mine. Anyways I'm pretty psyched up about it :D
Nice Supra, and Nice Kill, LOL read my thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16332
watch the video. I was amazed I know what your saying about the vette I pulled hard on him in 3rd but 4th he was pulling hard, wished I would of revved a little higher in third oh and not mention i wish the "other" stuff didn't happen.

poppincaps88

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Cali
First,Wingman, that is one clean car.

Second, hearing stories like this really renews my faith in the potential of our 7ms. It's a thing of beauty when a 19 year old car can lay the hurting down to something thats got 19yrs of technology packed into it. :icon_razz

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I was messing around on the freeway a while back and a Vette was pulling on me like crazy. When I was at full boost he was not pulling away, but the na powered Vette was pulling -several- car lengths on me before I hit full boost. I don't know what it had under the hood though.

poppincaps88

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Cali
I think if i were to buy a domestic, a vette would definitely be first on my list. Especially the c5 Zo6.

Never really cared too much for the styling of the c6, maybe I just miss the popup headlights..