District 9 is easily... (**contains some spoilers!**)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I think District 9 ranked in the top 5 best sci-fi movies I have ever seen.

I would much rather see a movie like District 9 then any of the recent super blockbuster bullshit they keep making. How can they put 200+ million dollars into some of these movies without even considering if the plot and characters are even interesting? I also can't stand watching the sickeningly fast camera movement as seen in Transformers.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Edit: Oop not at me, my mistake :p

IJ.;1393135 said:
I don't get the whole "was it believable" mindset in dissecting movies...
It's not a action movie where you can just shut your brain off, and I like those types. Also, when I watch most recent action movies, I just end up picking apart how stupidly the plot moves along. It's like watching something someone made from cliff notes of "Screenwriting for Dummies", and they just happened to have a $150mil budget. I like movies like District 9, because it puts the situation in a more realistic context: If aliens did get stranded here today, how would we treat them?

Given we still have countries xenophobic to other skin colors, it's not that outlandish to think that if another form of life were to arrive and try to integrate, that we'd treat them with the same xenophobia and dehumanizing views that we place on cultures unlike ours.

It's mainly about the context for me, has been since I was little

IJ.;1393135 said:
FFS it's a MOVIE about Aliens :nono:

you're overthinking it it's NOT a documentary.

Not really over-thinking, Ian (plus, I never said it was a documentary ;)). I mean taken at face value, it's an Apartheid movie with aliens playing the Africans, humans as the Afrikaners. It's pretty thinly veiled and has enough action to keep the preach factor down.

Now Transformers, that was a movie about aliens (as told by stunt-director-pretending-to-be-a-movie-director Michael "'splosions" Bay). It was even such a "Movie" movie, it had robot heaven for optimus (WTF!?!)

bigaaron;1393181 said:
How can they put 200+ million dollars into some of these movies without even considering if the plot and characters are even interesting?
Don't worry about all that! Just watch the pretty colors!
thumbnail_13657.jpg

Last edited: