Difference in Timing Belt

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Why do people chose the Greddy Timing belts over the stock ones?

Durability?

I couldn't find much, but i am in the market for a new one!

Thanks,

William

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Finnon said:
i wouldnt have thought thered be much of a difference. besides there non interference engines anyway arent they? so even if it snaps its just an inconvenience rather than a dissaster

Yeah, this is true but honestly, Ive been inside the entire engine and I dont understand how it would run properly if at ALL without the belt attached...

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It wouldn't run without the timing belt.... The point is that unlinke many other engines if the timing belt were to snap the pistons aren't going to go crashing into the open valves making a real mess of things.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Supposedly the GReddy belts don't stretch as much so you get more accurate timing, or something like that. Dunno if it actually makes a difference. Perhaps if you're running a really high horsepower setup?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
All else being equal the durability and service life of any belt is directly related to the number and type of reinforcing cords molded within it. It's similar to a tire in that respect. Timing belts of the Supra's era were rated at 60K miles while modern belts are rated at 105K miles. It's the reason you shouldn't use NOS belts.