debating what car to get as a DD....

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
my 1st choice was obviously to get another MARK III Supra & had found one in decent condition for $1,000. however, under further investigation i had also found a VW Scirocco & a Pontiac Fiero for around that price range also & had heard good things about those cars as well.

so i guess my question is, Supra aside(yes we all love those here), should i even bother to consider either of the other 2 cars? the intent of my next car purchase is just to find a cheap, reliable DD that also gets decent MPG.

so, what do you guys think?

õ_Ô

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
HellsLegion said:
Good things about a Pontiac fiero? Did you read about them on a Firesuit webpage?

Say NO to Fiero! My friend has one as a DD, sometimes. It's in pretty good condition too.

I say get a civic, corolla, or something more logical.

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
HellsLegion said:
Good things about a Pontiac fiero? Did you read about them on a Firesuit webpage?

lol, i thought that fire issue was with the 84 model only(and just people who neglected oil changes).. ? the one i had found was an 87. oh well.

aside from that though i was also very concerned about even being able to fit in a Scirocco or a Fiero. i had tried getting into a CRX & a RX-7 before and could not fit in either car(i'm 6' 4" 240lbs)

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
JoeyD said:
lol, i thought that fire issue was with the 84 model only(and just people who neglected oil changes).. ? the one i had found was an 87. oh well.

My friend's is an '83 and one day he was driving down the road a little ways ahead of me when all the sudden he pulled over, no brakes lights or such, just rolled to a stop. The car had a short somewhere and everything died. On a different day, it may have damn near caught on fire... I'm not trying to rag on Fieros, im just saying stay away.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I bought a tercel for $100 and have driven it on 1k mile road trips. It is a POS but it gets good mileage and I dont care if it blows up.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
JoeyD said:
my 1st choice was obviously to get another MARK III Supra & had found one in decent condition for $1,000. however, under further investigation i had also found a VW Scirocco & a Pontiac Fiero for around that price range also & had heard good things about those cars as well.

õ_Ô

Supras, Fear-ios, and Sciroccos. Your a masochistic.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Get a W123 Turbo Diesel mercedes. Great gas milage, bulletproof reliability, cheap parts, and easy to fix. :)

p638292_1.jpg

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
out of those I would get the supra.. but I would consider a cyl eco toyo or honda.. much better gasmilage and hella reliable..

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Get a DD that is good on gas and is very common. Makes it easier to find parts in a junkyard. I would buy a domestic due to the price of replacement parts and you can buy a relatively new one due to their steeper depreciation.

suav

Apr 20, 2007
Montana
p639520_1.jpg

Geo Prizms... same thing as a Corolla.
These cars are great. Especially the 5 speeds (what I have)... They're actually much zippier than you'd expect, fast as my friend's Civic and another's '03 V8 Dakota.

4 doors and mid-30mpg.
Bulletproof 1.6 liter.
NO problems at all.

I've owned 2 of them...
The first I got at 130,000 miles now it has like 189,000... engine still runs GREAT ... but needs new suspension and axles. At least I made it to and from SLC 2 times before that happened!

The second I got at 150,000m - now it's at 162-some. Went on so many long trips during my 1st semester and still wants to do more!

Personally it doesn't get much better than the 90's Geo Prizm!

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
get a 2000 celica gts for daily 180hp out of little 4 cylinder light car pretty peppy pretty cheap gets 34mpg

maybe get a pontiac GTO, scion Tc, infnity G35 2 door sport. just acouple deals i am looking for into buying newer dailys