Damn Speakers

Obsessionw/Boost

Sep 28, 2006
Albany, NY
I wanted to know where the speakers for my 88 turbo are.. other than the 4" door speakers, i know there are speakers by the rear strut towers... does anyone know what size those are? are there any other speakers in the car i dont know about? where and what sizes are they?

when i bought my car, all the speakers were gone... but they did have the decency to leave some crappy ass power wire...

what kinda speakers are you guys pushin?

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
This might get me flamed but!!!!! Went to best buy used that computer thing to tell me sizes, bought me some speakers called it good!!!!!!

Im sure outher will be able to give you better Ideas like custom box in spare tire hole ect...................................

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
There are 6 speakers in my 89 turbo... I don't know about 88 though..I don't remeber the sizes off the top of my head sorry about that.

Im running 2 infinteys up front,2 pioneer tweeters in the middle and 2 pioneer speakers in the back all connected through a pioneer head unit.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
really? i always thought the rear speakers were 4" as well.....

anyhow replacing the rear speakers are pointless in my opinion. you can spend a little more and get a very powerful set of fronts that are oversized (5-1/4 or 6") and have a car audio shop install them for you (they will need to fabricate a custom bracket). It will cost you more of course, but the sound out of 2 x 6" high end speakers will be much better then 4 x 4" low end speakers.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
SupraJDS said:
There are 6 speakers in my 89 turbo... I don't know about 88 though..I don't remeber the sizes off the top of my head sorry about that.

Im running 2 infinteys up front,2 pioneer tweeters in the middle and 2 pioneer speakers in the back all connected through a pioneer head unit.

Correct my 89 Has 6 total speakers. My 88 has 4. The 88 doesn't have the extra 2 facing the front of the car near the back speakers.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
anybody know the size of speaker that goes back there? (facing forward?) I have an 88 but I installed those side interior pieces out of a 92 that had the forward facing speakers. I have the little brackets, just no way to attatch them to my car :S

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The forward facing ones (the ones beside the rear seat) are 3" speakers. The ones in the hatch area are 5 1/4" speakers.

Just forget about the back ones, and put a nice pair of 6.5" speakers in the front with some custom brackets (really easy to do).

7MGTESUPRAMAN

Aug 8, 2005
Macon, GA
I have a 89 and I replaced my speakers with a set of memphis and it does sound a lot better compared to stock. Anyone replaced the two speakers on the sides of the rear seats, just wondering how would you replace those? I did not want to end up breaking something in the car so I did not replace those two.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I have 4" Alpine Speakers up front, and JBL 5.25's in the back, and it still sounds bad, great midrange and high freq...but no bass...:(...I threw some $40 Kragen 10" subs in the hatch, and it has been decent, but I really want to go with the 6in. fronts...what is a good brand? I am leaning towards the Infinity reference 6-inchers...

Even though you can get a 6in speaker in there, isn't the cover too small? Won't it sound muffled? And what about tweeters? Do the infinity's have them in the center of the larger cone like stock? Or will I have to mount them up higher?

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i think the covers do muffle it, i'm tempted to trim that metal to make the opening underneath bigger. I'm also going to recover the speaker grills in some nice black speaker mesh... i thnik the stock grills have a pound of dirt/dust caked in them over the years and muffle the sound quite a bit on their own. but mid-bass to bass frequencies (say 200Hz and down) are not really directional, so if you can get decent mid-bass in the 120-200Hz range out of your door speakers up front it will make a vast improvement even if there is marginal muffling of the speaker.

xrated89

Sep 12, 2005
Canada
I have a pair of the metal brackets out of a 91 if anyone is interested you would still need to find the larger speaker covertho : )

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
in my 87, i got 5x9s in my doors. stock size in the rear but they are boston accustics. stock size were all the same and tiny. also the shops i went to had a very limited selection that actually Fit.

i do have 2 BA stock size speakers i need to sell though lol. used for a short time(in the front before i went 5x9).

prolly doesnt help with your 88 turbo though....

Obsessionw/Boost

Sep 28, 2006
Albany, NY
i did what dylan did.... i had some mdf left over from my sub box, basically take out the stock speaker pod, take a piece of paper and put it directly where the pod used to be, trace the outline of ur custom pod....
then cut out a 7"x11" piece of mdf, and trace the outline on the mdf, i cut mine with a jigsaw that had a bent blade... it was a bitch to cut, but they came out really nice..
then make your markings and drill your holes, i mounted it using 1 1/2" screws,
i havent figured out how im going to cut the hole in the middle...any suggestions?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
trace the outline for the hole you need cut, drill a pilot hole, stick the jigsaw into that hole, and cut the outline.

to johnathan1:

Yes, the smaller grill will muffle it somewhat, but it will sound a lot better then it did before. You could also try to find some 91+ grills (and metal support brackets) to throw in them, as they are much larger. (Although, I prefer the look of the smaller ones)

If you're looking for speakers, depending on budget, I would check out CDT audio. I would mount the tweeters above the 6.5" speaker, angled up towards the driver. This is how I did it in my supra, and the sound difference is unbelievable. I run a set of CDT EF-61FGs, externally amped, which was a huge step up in sound clarity, plus with the orientation of the tweeter (pointing at you, not your knees), it really brought the soundstage up to the dash.

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
My 88 only has four speakers, two front, two back, all 4 inches. It wasn't until 89+ when they started getting fancy with it.

Any aftermarket speaker will be fine, but stock speakers still pack some punch.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Well, I couldn't take it anymore...I cannibalized a set of Bose model 21 bookshelf speakers (5-inch Woofer, 2-inch Tweeter), and am modifying the stock speakerbox so the woofer will fit. And I will be putting the tweeters right where the side view mirrors are.