Curious Q. about headgaskets

JXboost

LifeTakingbeast
Mar 9, 2007
N/A
Hi everyone, before I ask, I got to state that I have utilize the search functions and done extensive searching, but not one of the threads covered what I would like to know. I would like to know and hear from those individuals who have done head gasket jobs without machining the head and block using toyota OEM HG with ARP with correct torque specifications. Recently purchased my car and is extremely low mileage 89' (91k 7mgte) and is a one owner (senior). As read in one of the many threads that I found, no way in over 20 years+ will the surface remain as when it was new from factory. The reason I ask is because the car has never overheated, the car never suffered from a bhg (trying to do preventative maintenance) and the previous owner babied it. The car will never be race or modified in any other way. I am the type of person who appreciate the car for what it already is and would just like to keep up with maintenance since there isn't very much of these cars around anymore. I would like to HEAR from OTHERS EXPERIENCES how this held up for them? Thank you.

Edit: The car runs extremely healthy. A long with hearing others experience, would it be wise to do this preventative maintenance?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It cost like 40$ to machine the head.

The block you can get away without machining.

I have done a head gasket with out either in a pinch but its not recommended.

If the gasket is fine just keep driving it. No point to take the head off put a new hg and arp on if the car runs fine now esp if your not modding it.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
JXboost;1729263 said:
Hi everyone, before I ask, I got to state that I have utilize the search functions and done extensive searching, but not one of the threads covered what I would like to know. I would like to know and hear from those individuals who have done head gasket jobs without machining the head and block using toyota OEM HG with ARP with correct torque specifications. Recently purchased my car and is extremely low mileage 89' (91k 7mgte) and is a one owner (senior). As read in one of the many threads that I found, no way in over 20 years+ will the surface remain as when it was new from factory. The reason I ask is because the car has never overheated, the car never suffered from a bhg (trying to do preventative maintenance) and the previous owner babied it. The car will never be race or modified in any other way. I am the type of person who appreciate the car for what it already is and would just like to keep up with maintenance since there isn't very much of these cars around anymore. I would like to HEAR from OTHERS EXPERIENCES how this held up for them? Thank you.

Edit: The car runs extremely healthy. A long with hearing others experience, would it be wise to do this preventative maintenance?

Pull the head and see. To many variables to give you a definite answer. The head will warp a bit just from removal. Check the block with a straight edge, deck the head (rebuild it actually if you really want to be proactive) and call it a day. The block needs to be checked closely for any corrosion around the water jackets though. Good luck!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I have used an oem type head gasket with ARP's, and it held just fine.
But as mentioned, you never know the condition on something that's been bolted together for 91,000 miles.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Only time I've not resurfaced was when I knew it was resurfaced within the last 20,000 km, and that was only the block I didn't resurface (head was cracked and replaced). At the very least you'd still need to use a high grit (300+) sand paper or emery cloth to take off the old gasket material. I don't trust those gasket removal discs because I've seen them trash heads/blocks before (*those were alluminum*), so I just don't take any chances. Using scrapers you always run the risk of nicking/gouging the surface as well. Definitely slower, but you won't have to worry about any surface damage on your part.

JXboost

LifeTakingbeast
Mar 9, 2007
N/A
hvyman;1729561 said:
Yes. Just drive the car. If you dont beat on it, its should last a long time.

Thanks hvyman. I trust that you know exactly what you are talking about so I am going to take your word for it.