Credit Cards

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
My son suggested Mint to me, my ex uses/loves it. I'd rather keep my info to my self.

I would be interested in their business model? rev from advertising? rev from selling list of names?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
My guess would be from credit card/finicial companies.

They have a lot of "we can save you $XXX/year!" stuff that they get from calculating your fees, interest payments, etc.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
You'll have a hard time finding a more secure way to pay for things than a good credit card. Visa/Mastercard will beat down vendors that try to rip you off and may offer insurance or extended warrantys on items you buy with the card. Cash does not do that. You don't pay interest in credit cards if you pay it on time... so it really does come down to discipline. People also can spend your cash if they steal it, they can't use your card if it's reported stolen... and charges made after the card is reported will not [likely] be your responsibility. You should know what your cards do for you in these instances.

Credit cards will not replace cash and never, ever spend money you don't have unless you're truly prepared to face the consequences; debt.

If you can handle debt, power to you, but you ain't gettin' anywhere owing people money. If you're stuck paying off $5000 in debt that you're carrying around for two years, that $5000 had better have been for something important like a new roof on the house or to buy a solid, reliable car to drive. If it's for something like a vacation, a turbocharger, or new kitchen cabinates (when the old ones were fine, they just weren't "new"), then you've fucked up. A debt should last as long as the benefits of the product or service recieved in exchange for the debts, lasts.

I can't recommend enough that you get a credit card, and a good one. I have a Visa Green and an MBNA Mastercard. Both of which I'm debating dropping. I also maintain a line of credit. All of which have no balances.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Just to throw a spanner in the "credit cards are the devil" works, here in Australia; it can be VERY beneficial to have a credit card and use it for EVERYTHING.

Reason being is if you have a home loan with an offset account that you get your salary deposited to (bringing down the interest payable). You then pay your usual monthly bills with the credit card, and then pay it off in full each month or the day before the interest free period ends (many cards have a 55 day interest free period) from the money in your offset account. Rinse and repeat for the life of the loan.

For the above to work, you MUST be disciplined and pay the credit card off in full.

If done right, you can save yourself tens of thousands of dollars over the life of your home loan. You can also reap the benefits of rewards points/frequent flyer miles/etc that are attached to whatever cc you choose.

In saying the above though, I was young and stupid and was bitten by the cc snake. I was easily able to afford payments, but I chose to have fun over paying bills, and then when I started working one fulltime job as opposed to 3 casual jobs, I was earning alot less and keeping on top of those bills was near impossible.

I gave myself a swift kick up the ass a couple years ago and by December 3rd this year (maybe November 19th if I work hard), I will be 100% debt free.

I wish that (most of) the info in this thread was available to me as an 18 year old kid - I would be sitting on a VERY nice nest egg today if I knew then what I knew now.