CRAP. Fedora, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or SuSE? KDE or GNOME?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
nice, seems like many use Ubuntu, which i kinda figured but its nice to hear what people actually think and why. i'm going home in a few hours to try them out, backup some files and get on with the dual-boot install.

gotta read up on how to do it though. should i research common problems with installing, or just stick it in and go? Once I know that Ubuntu catches my net connection by testing out the live part.

I'd like to start using it ASAP because i cant fiddle with things during school days, and i'm DONE until monday so...if there are things about configuring the partitions and other technical aspects i should know - i'll go look it up - but if Ubuntu figures it out for me, i dont want to waste my time :) :) :)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well i think i may have found what i like... It's between Fedora and Ubuntu, somehow the SUSE i downloaded doesn't have a live feature? whatever.

Fedora looks really nice and its easy to work with, is there anything in particular that you guys have seen in Ubuntu that Fedora doesn't have? i mean i couldn't get the 3-d desktop or the "winows wobble when moved" features...
or at least the 3-d part. and it's really brown and doesn't come with much in the line of customization off the bat...

i know this is basic but based on the look and feel i like fedora better. i know i can make ubuntu look the same but... i dunno.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 9

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
You can do that very easily with Ubuntu but each distro fits different people. GL with your choice though...

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok. thanks :)

when it comes down to it i suppose it truly doesn't matter which i pick as far as looks, since they should all look the same after tweaking, i just need my drivers and such to work properly. i'll keep experimenting but so far Fedora is nice "otta the box"

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok well i like how the images in Fedora display as thumbnails, like the one on my desktop... i'm assuming i can get a download with apt-get that will change ubuntu to do that? i'll keep poking around...

Attachments

• Screenshot-2.png
    Screenshot-2.png
    520.5 KB · Views: 3

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Naw, that's automatic. If you save any image (to whatever location), it will show up as a thumbnail..

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i stuck a picture on my desktop. you can see it in the screenshot i took. in fedora it's a thumbnail, in ubuntu it's a funny yellow-orange photo of a tree. :( not as cool. lol. its the top icon in that last screenshot. fedora's screenshot is the one a few posts earlier, same page though.

------EDIT------

did your ubuntu come with the 3d desktop (compiz i think) ready to enable? i cant get it to work.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
thanks!

and did compiz add the thumbnail capability? man this is a PITA. lol. at least, right now since i know fedora already has all this.

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
It's pretty straight forward. I guess when I was looking for a distro, pics on the desktop wasn't on the list..lol. As you can tell, I like a clean desktop so I never paid any attention. Matter of fact, my wife use our desktop most of the time and I haven't installed Compiz on it and the pics show up on the desktop.

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
slackware

p909306_1.png

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LOL

Like I said, I prefer Fedora ;) Add Beryl to that, use Gnome, and you have practically everything already set up that you could want.