CRAP. Fedora, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or SuSE? KDE or GNOME?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Ive been trying to pick a distribution for a day and i played with Fedora yesterday. it was nice. I've used SuSE on school computers, and i've played with an older kubuntu.

what do you other linux users use and why? do you like to run KDE or GNOME?

that's another issue, even if i pick a distribution some have both KDE and GNOME. :cry:

Oh and i like the graphical switching either in that zoomed-out view of everything or the 3-D box that you can spin, it makes things interesting. the SuSE here doesn't have that, but it could be the type or admin settings on this box.

anyway...i thought maybe some linux users on here could give me tips... i know in the end its just what i like the most but, maybe you can help me OMIT some crap from my choices. :icon_mad:

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Ubuntu 7.10 FTMFW!!!
And I'm running Compiz as my desktop manager with mods to make it look like a Mac
<personal favorite

p904341_1.jpg

p904341_2.jpg

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Doward - what do you mean supramania runs on fedora? as opposed to...uh? what does fedora have that ubuntu doesn't? i talked to a few guys at my school and they said that Ubuntu has lots of "clicky" stuff and is good for first timers. I like fedora though. if i have time tonight i'll be trying live cd's of ubuntu and Suse.

The1 - nice! why do you like Ubuntu...over...whatever is a close second? i'm not sure how much i'd dig that mac look...it is nice. but uh, functionality wise i'd have to give it a try. So i'm guessing Compiz is like KDE or GNOME and you just install it after you get the OS?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I prefer KDE to Gnome. Ubuntu is a good distribution and I've been happy with how smoothly it works. Ubuntu comes with Gnome, but you can add KDE to it so that you can choose between KDE and Gnome. Alternatively, you can get Kubuntu which is just Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome. I'd recommend playing with both and seeing which one you like more.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
sweet thanks. can you do Ctrl+Alt and move the cube, or Ctrl+Alt 'arrow key' to animate and switch desktops in KDE?

I know GNOME does it....i really like that feature :p

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LOL

Fact of the matter is, it's not until you get down into the nitty gritty that you'll find differences in the distros.

I prefer Fedora, because having to sudo everything in ubuntu just pisses me off. I can log in as root (gui) in Fedora, take care of what needs taking care of, and log back out - easy as pie. :)

With a little time, you can make any distro do what any other distro does - Fedora just comes out of the box, as the most 'already customized how I like it' for me.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
whoa...ook...does Ubuntu have an install DVD as well as a Live CD? i can only find the small <1GB CD iso... but fedora was 3.2 GB to install and <1GB for the Live cd. maybe Ubuntu downloads on the fly? i'm confused.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
doward - ah, ok. :) I do like Fedora a lot. i havent tried the new Ubuntu yet though, i don't think. i will tonight and probably decide soon. then i'll go about actually installing. :)

i considered suse mostle because that's what my school uses, but i dont like the 'start' menu layout. then again i could go with GNOME.

all in all i guess you're right the distro's aren't that different if you use the same desktop manager.

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
You get used to the sudo function quickly. I chose Ubuntu because after a lot of research, Ubuntu seemed the most user friendly. I like it and I haven't had any problems out of it. I have a dual boot set up with Vista because of 1 online class I'm taking but my laptop and desktop runs Gutsy Gibbon and I'm sticking with it.

Figit-Compiz Fusion is just addition GUI plugins for Gnome but once you get into it, you'll love it. And you download the live disk which includes the installation setup.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
The1 - thanks! I'll look into that distro tomorrow, and I have the ubuntu, suse, and fedora live disks so i'll try them all out throughly and install one soon. looks like ubuntu on this one :)

I like the name better than suse too... i thought it was "soose" but i've heard it's "suzie" ...and that made it weird. lol. dunno why i didnt think if that but....i liked it how i pronounced it and now it feels tainted. i guess i'm weird like that.

Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I was running Ubuntu for the past 3 years almost now. It's very good and has come a long way.

However, currently I am running the Eee version of Xandros with KDE. I will definitely go back to Gnome sometime soon but I am still using the pre-installed linux because I havn't had time to play around with anything yet. Maybe in between quarters.