Coolent overflow... Need Help...

headlightwashers

Squirter
Feb 5, 2006
Schenectady NY
www.myspace.com
ok... i have an 87mk3 with a JDM Engine and 3inch turbo back exhaust. and the coolent overflows when i park. Its not a BHG. cause there is a new one on there. the head is shaved and i have a higher compression so i have to run 93 plus a bottle of octane booster.. Its not a thermostat, cause i was just replaced, and its not the radiator cause it was just replaced. my electric fans are wired to a switch cause i didnt have enough money to get the temp sensor or whatever its called. so when the temp gauge (aftermarket) says 160, i flip the switch for the electric fans. and after i park the car some coolent still bubbles out when i have the fans on. i could only think of 3 things, 1. radiator cap is rated for 13lbs. 2. i need a fan shroud for radiator. or 3. i forgot what 3 was but ill remember if anyone has any suggestions... thanks

Tom

d3fc0n

Jan 14, 2006
Macon, GA
headlightwashers said:
ok... i have an 87mk3 with a JDM Engine and 3inch turbo back exhaust. and the coolent overflows when i park. Its not a BHG. cause there is a new one on there. the head is shaved and i have a higher compression so i have to run 93 plus a bottle of octane booster.. Its not a thermostat, cause i was just replaced, and its not the radiator cause it was just replaced. my electric fans are wired to a switch cause i didnt have enough money to get the temp sensor or whatever its called. so when the temp gauge (aftermarket) says 160, i flip the switch for the electric fans. and after i park the car some coolent still bubbles out when i have the fans on. i could only think of 3 things, 1. radiator cap is rated for 13lbs. 2. i need a fan shroud for radiator. or 3. i forgot what 3 was but ill remember if anyone has any suggestions... thanks

Tom

Are you runing 50% h2o / 50% ethelene glycol?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Burp your system. Search around, there's writeups on how to do it.

For the love of god, man, buy a fan thermostat...
I have a Flex-A-Lite one that I'll sell you...

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
my bros car has the same problem and hes on the stock clutch fan. BHG job done not too long ago and burped it. it might still be a pesky air pocket and it has a new rad cap.... keep me posted guys

headlightwashers

Squirter
Feb 5, 2006
Schenectady NY
www.myspace.com
supra90turbo said:
Burp your system. Search around, there's writeups on how to do it.

For the love of god, man, buy a fan thermostat...
I have a Flex-A-Lite one that I'll sell you...

ok, for 1, how would i buy your thermostat, and 2 what would happen if i got rid of the engine fan and put some electric flex-a-lite ones behind the radiator? would that be expensive? and one more thing would the fan shroud that currently is missing have anything to do with the overheating at low speeds? but for now ill try to burp it. but i am interested in your thermostat.

headlightwashers

Squirter
Feb 5, 2006
Schenectady NY
www.myspace.com
MKIIINA said:
my bros car has the same problem and hes on the stock clutch fan. BHG job done not too long ago and burped it. it might still be a pesky air pocket and it has a new rad cap.... keep me posted guys

Ill get that som'e Bitch air pocket....
What radiator cap should i use, i have the 13lb now. sould i upgrade to a 15lb?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
headlightwashers said:
ok, for 1, how would i buy your thermostat, and 2 what would happen if i got rid of the engine fan and put some electric flex-a-lite ones behind the radiator? would that be expensive? and one more thing would the fan shroud that currently is missing have anything to do with the overheating at low speeds? but for now ill try to burp it. but i am interested in your thermostat.

lol, PayPal?

As for the rest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX-31147&N=115+309460&autoview=sku
That's what I got. It's used, however slightly...
PM for the rest.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
you should definately get the fan shroud, i ran the stock clutch and fan with no shroud for a while and on the highway it's fine but any kind of stop and go and she would overheat at a light until i got back up to 45 or so, but once i put the shroud back in no problems since.

hope this give a little info for you

N

NDBoost

i was pushing coolant when i reversed my overflow bottles lid. Not pushing anymore coolant after fixing it.

Also make sure the hose that goes from the overflow out make sure its doesnt go below the bottom of the overflow tank or it could cause a siphon effect when fluid is pushed into the overflow bottle.