Coolant Temp. Question

normandouglas

Oct 1, 2007
East Bay, CA
I hope I don't get roasted for this, as I've searched with all the terms I can think of, but what is the average operational temp of the coolant? How hot is too hot, and how hot is critically hot? Degrees in fahrenheit preferred.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
good running temp is usually between 180 and 195, im not sure what you consider critically hot but anything upwards of 200-210 i think would be too hot

Someone please correct me if im wrong

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That's about right assuming everything is working although after shutdown the temp in the upper radiator core will go higher. The turbo coolant return line is a different story. That can get up to 240+ where it exits the turbo. An NA doesn't have that "problem" though.

For a stock system anything over 230 is pushing it. There should be at least a 50 degree drop on the radiator from top to bottom on a 60 F day. I'd tell you the gpm that should be flowing through it at 3000 rpm but since you probably don't have a way to measure that I'll skip it.

I suggest investing in an IR gun, a tool everyone who works on cars should own. A handy gadget that can be used for lots of things from AC work to emissions to finding an ignition miss or rich/lean cylinders. Mine is a Raytek ST25 AutoPro.

Input enough?

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I bought my IR temp gun at a local hobby store, $40 and it is bright orange and looks like a stop watch!!! (Looks cool, and can get into tight places)

I never see coolant temps higher than 195-200F while driving WOT. Park the car for 10 minutes in 110F degree ambient temps after you just ran it, and you'll see temps spike to 210F on startup. But after 5 seconds of idling will bring it back down to 195F.

Do you have an aftermarket temp gauge to monitor while driving? IR gun won't help you there.