Computer Question

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My computer works fine, I can browse and download whatever through WinXP, AVG security, Linksys router and Motorola Modem.

G/F brings Compaq Presario, WinXP, Norton crap and etc over, and cannot d/l anything, gets blocked on all attempts.

What shall I do to make her happy?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Norton's security settings might be too high. Also, XP's firewall could have shit the bed and has decided to block everything incoming and outgoing.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I just have Zone Alarm Pro. AV software slows computers down wayyy too much for me. Safe mode and regedit if I have to get rid of something pesky.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Hey, I got an idea.

1. 99% of computers, DONT need an anti-virus. Why you ask? Cause the best anti-virus is common sense. Hackers these days are script kiddies, and the ones who are real hackers aren't going to go after your 300$ bank account. 99% of Script kiddies need you to install or DL something they made or got from someone, they don't have the know how, to actually get into your computer. They need you to open the back do for them.
So get rid of Norton.
2. Install Firefox
3. Tell her to stop clicking emails with attachments that state she won a trip to Ethiopia and $100,000,000,000 in cash.
4. Myspace and youtube enjoy giving you shit. So install a program called Adware. Its small simple, and it does the trick for the stuff firefox misses.

This should do the trick.
Just remember rule #1, the worlds greatest anti-virus can't get rid of human stupidity.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
spybot search and destroy :) its out of a university and its all i use... have used it and only it for 5 years now

http://www.safer-networking.org/

block junk from installing again and be in awe as to how much spyware you have o_O

i used to have zone alarm but it got in the way of basic functions... avg is more concerned with you buying their big package rather than doing what they advertise, firefox has so much trouble opening pages for me i will never use it again (im sure its gotten better the past few years but im still bitter hehe but dont ignore it on my count im sure it works a million times better now, and its free!), MAC's are nice because most spyware just wont plain work on it but nothing stops the mac specific stuff from hittin ya...

Now when it comes to brand name computers they come pre installed with spyware (backweb, backweb lite, etc etc doesnt matter the brand it comes with it sometimes even when its a high priced computer) its to lower the initial cost of the computer... and a reason best buy points it out so you will pay them to remove it.

and adaware is a lame program as well the only thing thats different from it and most others is it'll attack your cookies like a madman

lets not forget that most if not all spyware programs that require you to pay... they more likely then not are working with the same people that make the spyware or have a deal where they wont target specific spyware

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
swaq said:
Get her a Mac.

Only reason mac doesnt have problems, is cause 90% of the market still uses PCs.
Wait until you got a good share of the market, and Macs will be infected peices of shit, why? Cause Mac has never had to deal with it, Windows and linux on the other hand has been battling the stuff since the dawn of time.

Waiting for all the mac users to cry out in pain as the wave of destruction rains down on them.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Get rid of Norton.

Install Spybot + Avast! Antivirus (Free Home edition, just register it)

I have yet to have a customer's system, that I couldn't clean with these two tools at my disposal.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah Norton blows.

Anyways...everything still works on mine...and on hers even after removing everything non-essential, and taking off Norton and Windows firewall....nope

Tried a download from download.com..works fine for me, and her...LOL
p703450_1.jpg

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
For one, don't use LimeWire :3d_frown: IRC is your friend.

I see you've got some Windows Updates that need installing - do you have the latest Windows Installer?

Do a scan with Spybot, then a boot-time scan with Avast, see what you clean out.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
D34DC311 said:
Only reason mac doesnt have problems, is cause 90% of the market still uses PCs.
Wait until you got a good share of the market, and Macs will be infected peices of shit, why? Cause Mac has never had to deal with it, Windows and linux on the other hand has been battling the stuff since the dawn of time.

Waiting for all the mac users to cry out in pain as the wave of destruction rains down on them.
Um, sure. Except that Mac is BSD-based (which is Unix-based). Unix has been dealing with viruses and vulnerabilities for longer than Windows. It's a more secure model to begin with. Market share has little to do with it.

Read here: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/04/10.9.shtml

There is plenty of motivation to develop viruses for the Mac simply to show it can be done. However very very few have come out (especially compared to Windows) and are almost always just proof-of-concepts. I don't know of any that have done significant harm on Mac OS X.

Also, the percentage of Macs is high enough now that it is not an insignificant amount. The number of active Mac users currently is an 8 digit number.