Computer device won't work.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
D34DC311 said:
DO WHAT? thats makes no since at all man.
FSB is only as fast as your ram. Has nothing to do with video.
If you have 400mhz ram, and your CPU FBS is 233 then your ram is going to run at 233.
your CPU FBS is only as fast as your ram is.

No... with my old AMD this exact thing happened.. all i had to do was change to some different ram (that would atleast let me see video) then change the FSB (not really sure its the FSB now..it was late last night) but its somethin in there that i messed with when i had the same issue...

Oh..and if FSB would only be as fast as ram...how is it that Intels manage 800MHZ FSB but a max of DDR-400 or 533 on 865XX chipsets?

but maybe the motherboard doesnt even support that processor...so if it doesnt you can try a BIOS update so do what matt said...get a BIOS update heh.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
mg89 said:
My did built it a while back in 2001. He's been helping me, but he's been kind of busy and just went to sleep 5 minutes ago. I did ask him about the BIOS setting to default. He did it for me but it still didn't work. I'm not messing with my computer anymore, because I want to do it under the supervision of my dad, just in case I screw anything up. Now I just want answers to some questions I have.

Here's a question- what's better AMD or Intel?

That's really not an answerable question, plus it's quite likely to start a flame war. I personally prefer AMD because I haven't liked the way Intel has tried to bully computer manufacturers to only use Intel processors. Over the last few years AMD has been better than Intel in almost every way. However, with the newest Intel processors AMD is a bit behind again. AMD has not yet released their latest stuff though, so I wouldn't jump back to Intel just yet (unless you're going to buy an Apple).

Speaking of which, I highly recommend Apple computers. Since you're into games though, they probably wouldn't be the best solution for you.

Okay, back on topic, finally. Five years old? I'd say that's time for a replacement. There's no way you should be using that motherboard for anything other than a server at this point. MSI has decent higher end motherboards now, but five years ago they weren't that great. Get yourself a nice Asus, ABit, or DFI board. I've had great results from Asus and ABit boards. I haven't actually tried DFI, but they're supposed to be really high quality. Stay away from ECS, I've had nothing but trouble from them.

When working on a computer you learn by screwing things up. Don't worry about it. It's really hard to actually damage something when you're playing around in BIOS. Really really hard. Believe me, I've tried. If you mess something up to the point that it won't boot then you just set the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard for a few seconds, put it back, and then try and turn on the computer again.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to return the already-outdated CPU you bought and then get a socket 939 motherboard with a compatible CPU (like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535). That's a pretty economical route and still leaves you with a good upgrade option for the future as that socket will hold up to a Athlon 64 X2 4800+ at least, which is a nice dual core CPU. Especially since it seems you'll need to upgrade your motherboard anyway, might as well go with one that can support faster processors. You could even jump up to an AM2 socket, but then you'll be spending at least $20 more on the processor.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
Thanks man^ I'll start building my computer once I get another job. Or myabe I'll get lucky this christmas and find a new computer underneath my christmas tree....I hope

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
But just wondering, what brand/model video and sound card should I get? The video card I have now is GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X with 128mb, and my sound card is Avance AC'97 Audio. I am planning to play a lot of games and just need help on what to get. I want a video card that is great to play games with, but won't cost me an arm and a leg.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
steven89 said:
No... with my old AMD this exact thing happened.. all i had to do was change to some different ram (that would atleast let me see video) then change the FSB (not really sure its the FSB now..it was late last night) but its somethin in there that i messed with when i had the same issue...

Oh..and if FSB would only be as fast as ram...how is it that Intels manage 800MHZ FSB but a max of DDR-400 or 533 on 865XX chipsets?

but maybe the motherboard doesnt even support that processor...so if it doesnt you can try a BIOS update so do what matt said...get a BIOS update heh.

The ram has nothing to do with the video though. Did you put in the proper RAM to begin with? it has to have RAM to turn on.
Also 2 different compaines ram can cause conflicts with each other.
It can also be the speeds of the ram.
I.E putting 3200 with 2700.

It can sport 800mhz FSB all it wants. Your not getting that.
Thats what it SAYS IT CAN GO UP 2. Not what it is.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
The '800Mhz' FSB on intels isn't really at 800Mhz - it's quad pumped, basically meaning the FSB is actually 800Mhz, but pumped up 4x inside the CPU itself.

FSB no longer exists in the traditional sense on Athlon64's/Sempron64's/Opterons - it's all Hypertransport instead as the memory controller is embedded onto the CPU instead of the slow-ass northbridge.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
mg89 said:
But just wondering, what brand/model video and sound card should I get? The video card I have now is GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X with 128mb, and my sound card is Avance AC'97 Audio. I am planning to play a lot of games and just need help on what to get. I want a video card that is great to play games with, but won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I've had great luck with ATi cards and I really like them. nVidia makes good cards as well. It's hard to go wrong with either. Do some benchmark comparisons, preferably with the game(s) you want to play, shop around on price (I like newegg, but there are other places as well), and then make a decision. If you're getting an ATi card try to get one that that is actually the ATi brand and not a different brand with an ATi chip. I got a Sapphire one that was junk once. nVidia doesn't actually make their own cards, as far as I know. I believe eVGA is a good brand for nVidia cards.

In my experience, most new motherboards' built-in sound cards are sufficient. If you're just doing gaming and not any audio recording stuff you should be fine with whatever comes on the motherboard.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
But for now, if anyone here has a AMD Athlon Xp 2100+ cpu for a Socket A (426) motherboard and is willing to give it away, I'll take it and pay for shipping. Or I can pay for the cpu and shipping. I would preferebly like one that was not overclocked, but if it is I'll take it to.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
mg89 said:
But for now, if anyone here has a AMD Athlon Xp 2100+ cpu for a Socket A (426) motherboard and is willing to give it away, I'll take it and pay for shipping. Or I can pay for the cpu and shipping. I would preferebly like one that was not overclocked, but if it is I'll take it to.

Pricewatch.com
Have fun, I can build that system you have there, for prolly under $200.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
Yay! success, I knew asking around for it would eventually pay off. Now some guy is sending me one from his old computer for free.

WOOPIDIDOO!

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
dude!

All you need to do is change your jumper( Yes the older Socket A's have jumpers)

The jumper sets at which the FSB for the CPU is. If you can find the manual or find the model number, you'll be able to find the jumper. It's so simple yet so frustrating when not knowing about it. If you cant find just pm me the model number and I'll tell ya which one to switch. I'm 99% positive this will do the trick for ya.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
mg89 said:
you can barely even get a cell phone for under $200 without some sort of plan

have you looked at pricewatch.com?
I have connections, I build PCs for people on a budget.