Complete loss of power

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
So I drove my 88 NA to a doctors appointment, came back out and it started up fine, then while I was heading home I noticed my voltage spiking to 16-20v so I decided to pull over. Now the car has completely lost power, the battery is fully charged and I have triple checked every fuse I can think of...

any ideas?:1zhelp:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
maybe the battery wasn't being charged, but it had enough power to start it and run for a bit before it finally kicked the bucket..

this happened to me a while back, the alternator was the culprit..

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
16-20volts, id say your alternator is prolly hooped( voltage regulator i think in the alternator), but as for no power prolly your fusilbe link went.--got a multimeter

Last edited:

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
nope, further diagnosis proved it was the "fusible link" coming off of the battery to the fuse block. Car is running great now.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
^^^ Still you shouldn't ever have a power spike up to 16-20 VDC. Yes, you fix the problem of having no power, but now you have to ask your self "what caused the fusible link to blow"?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Poodles;1149074 said:
JJ would have to comment, but last I knew that could easily blow the regulator/alternator...

yah the fl blowing is like disconecting the bat while the engine is running, not a good thing. pretty sure causes the magnectic feilds in the alternator to collaspe and massive volatage spike which might explain the 16-20v. although i though its higher.

but how is everything lookin now?? and what caused the fl to blow??

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
If you peaked 16-20V at some point, you definitely have another problem besides a blown fuseable link. Changing the link to restore power is treating a symptom, not a problem. I would definitely be careful of anything causing those sorts of spikes in the electrical system of the car, especially if you've got all sorts of goodies in there too.

I went through a half dozen Auto Zone alternators before I finally just got a Toyota one. I'm not sure if there's a preferred reman/rebuilt one available these days, it's been a while since I changed mine.

Just keep a watchful eye on it, voltage spikes like that could be detrimental to the well being of your Supra.