Cometic Head Gaskets with no machine work?

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Just get both the head and block machined. This will make both surfaces flat and true. You take shortcuts, then expect to spend more money and time in the future pulling it all apart for another BHG.

Take the good advice offered by those who have been there. They are here to help you out and ensure that you do not take the route some of them took and repeat their mistakes. This will save you money and time in the long run.

Cheers,
Roy

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
hottscennessey said:
...For the record, the key to having a long healthy headgasket life is the tune. Avoiding detonation. IIRC MK3Brent is still on the EOM headgasket with 400+ RWHP... XMan helped tune a car with 500+ RWHP on the OEM. If I had another 7M, and I were on a strict budget, I'd go OEM, and keep it tuned properly.

well said.

the internet myth that the stock HG is only good to XXX rwhp is retarded.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
This thread makes me happy bc i am about to buy a car w/o BHG but it has been sitting for 5 years and i was alll worried about HG troubles and milling the block etc...

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
thanks for the info guys i apprciate it. i think im just gonna stick with the stock hg and try and make it work for awhile and just save for my build. i kno the head and block should b machined just thought there would be a glimmer of hope that maybe i could get away with it but i guess not and im not gonna take a chance.
sorry if i sound kinda pissed just a bit on the frustrated side. ill keep the car up until the summer and depending on how well the summer goes we'll see what happens with my supra hopefully all turns out well. hopefully if i take care of the motor and keep it tuned well it'll last till im ready. maybe i do some body or suspension work this summer on it. thanks again

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
OfnaRcR4 said:
This thread makes me happy bc i am about to buy a car w/o BHG but it has been sitting for 5 years and i was alll worried about HG troubles and milling the block etc...
Don't run it/start it!

Tow it home pull the head and feed it a new HG, point in case a friend of a friend had a 18000 mile Mk3 that had been sitting for many years my friend bought it then proceeded to drive it home.

It lasted 8KM's (about 5 miles) before it popped the stock gasket and I got the call to tow it home for him.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
drjonez said:
good luck!

nothing like skipping steps....i look fwd to the "why did my MHG blow" thread....

do it right or do it twice....

:slap:

+1

By the way, not familiar with a Supra doesn't mean much. The machinist is following book specs on everything. If they aren't, don't give them your business.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
#1StunnaVic said:
o yea and jdub, i read the thread you have linked here and i see that he had a problem cuz he didn't prep his head for a HKS type head gasket.

Just trying to make a point man...I see quite a few others chimed in, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Besides, what do I know ;)