Codes 14, 51, and 71

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
I just pulled these codes from my little brothers car. Any thoughts on the code 14, all I could find is that it's ignition related. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

The code 51, I'm not to concerned about, we got it before when his TPS went out. I suspect it may be bogus.

The code 71 says EGR; I read in the manual that I need to take it out to test it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
67rstbkt;1158030 said:
I just pulled these codes from my little brothers car. Any thoughts on the code 14, all I could find is that it's ignition related. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

The code 51, I'm not to concerned about, we got it before when his TPS went out. I suspect it may be bogus.

The code 71 says EGR; I read in the manual that I need to take it out to test it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
try the t.s.r.m,toyota supra repair manual.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Thanks, I found the procedure to test the EGR (code 71), but can't find anything specific for the code 14. I was hoping someone had a similar problem on their Supra.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
For code 71 (EGR temp.) to double check to make sure it is the EGT probe, disconnect it and in it's place put a 10k ohm resistor pluged into the harness. This will make the ECU happy and if the code goes away then the EGT probe needs to be replaced. Other wise it could be the wiring to the EGT.

Also reset the ECU to make sure there isn't any old codes that you might be reading.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
has your car got an old alarm system fitted? uk cars came with a dealer fitted scorpion or piranha alarm. on my car the relays inside the alarm had failed causing an intermitent code 14 which would either make the engine not start or randomly kill it when driving. would be a bitch to get started again.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
92nsx;1158600 said:
For code 71 (EGR temp.) to double check to make sure it is the EGT probe, disconnect it and in it's place put a 10k ohm resistor pluged into the harness. This will make the ECU happy and if the code goes away then the EGT probe needs to be replaced. Other wise it could be the wiring to the EGT.

Also reset the ECU to make sure there isn't any old codes that you might be reading.

I'll try that, Thanks!

Finnon;1158709 said:
has your car got an old alarm system fitted? uk cars came with a dealer fitted scorpion or piranha alarm. on my car the relays inside the alarm had failed causing an intermitent code 14 which would either make the engine not start or randomly kill it when driving. would be a bitch to get started again.

The car used to have an aftermarket alarm, but I removed it a while back. Thanks!

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The code 14 points to the ignitor or coil. I'd check the wiring first.

"Trouble Area

* Igniter and ignition coil circuit
* Igniter and ignition coil
* ECU"

As far as the 71, I'd suspect either a dirty EGR, the vsv, or a vacuum leak between them.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
as cuel says for code 14 check the wiring.

In my post i said id found my code 14 problem to be the alarm. That was after id replaced the igniter the coil and the ecu. id also checked the wiring with a multi meter etc. I only discovered a splice in the wire to the alarm by accident. It was quite well hidden.

when the original alarm had started acting up i simply used the key to turn it off thinking ahh ill fix iit or remove it another time. not realising the hastle i would cause myself