code/decode 7m origin?

Footbraker

Dec 13, 2008
NC
Heya, have an n/a and was told that the 7m was replaced with another approx. 30k ago. I received no paperwork to back this up but the oil pan has a pound and a half of blue death in lieu of a gasket so leads me to believe the pan was swapped out from whatever one the original motor fit. The question is; is there a way to decode/determine what application this one came from to facilitate accurate parts procurement?

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
if all your worried about is gettin the correct parts, then its not necessary to do what youre asking. if its a 7m, then all parts for a 7m should fit it

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
IIRC,some of the electronics/emission control stuff are different for 89+ cars.I could be wrong ,don't quote me on it.Other than that,as long as the parts are for an na you should be fine.

Footbraker

Dec 13, 2008
NC
toy fanatic78;1214888 said:
IIRC,some of the electronics/emission control stuff are different for 89+ cars.I could be wrong ,don't quote me on it.Other than that,as long as the parts are for an na you should be fine.

Like if I go to get a waterpump for a 88 Supra and the motor came out of say a 93 Cressida or whatever all the accessories will be the same?

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Should be,as long as they are the same series of motor(5M,7M.)Not 100% sure on the newer cressidas,but the older ones like mine('84,5M)everything motor wise was the same,with the exception of the throttle body.

Footbraker

Dec 13, 2008
NC
It's always safer to take a part in and match it up but often it's inconvenient or impractical. It would be nice to know some hard info as to the original application to facilitate calling around and sourcing parts. That's why I was asking about codes to determine same.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
If it's already IN your supra,then any parts that weren't supra specific have already been changed.You should be fine just ordering parts for your particular year of supra.And AFAIK there is no gasket for the oil pans by the way,just sealer/liquid gasket.

Footbraker

Dec 13, 2008
NC
Alright, I'll operate off of that assumption. My experience has been with domestics and working a cheese-a$$ parts counter with folks comin' in with stuff that doesn't match what they say it came out of. Thanks for the info.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
You should be fine to ask for Supra parts. There is no real way of telling what it's from, as things can be swapped/changed. Stuff was similar enough though, and any big differences would have had to have been changed to Supra stuff before swapping it in.

As for the oil pan, Toyota didn't use a gasket, just black FIPG, which is what I recommend you use as well.

Jeff

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The main differences between the Cressida and Supra 7m's were the oil pans and intakes. As far as the long block(including timing belt and water pump) the engines are the same. If you still work at a parts counter, look up the part numbers between a 92 Supra, and 89 Cressida for the water pump and timing belt. Bet they're the same ;)

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
yeah in the long block, the oil pump and pickup are different due to the sump being different, but thats about it. Some of the accessory brackets are different, and the Cressida uses the Turbo intake (from what I have read, the actual lower and upper intakes are identical between the two). The 3000 pipe in the Cressida is a black plastic tube, where we have the 3000 pipe thats metal. As I said before, the dipstick tube on the Cressida is not in the same location as the Supra, but the boss is there, just needs to be drilled. My 91 NA Supra has a Cressida motor in it, we just drilled the dipstick tube and plugged the old one up, works just fine.

Footbraker

Dec 13, 2008
NC
Worked the counter 20 years ago. Just remember the frustration on both sides when something was swapped unbeknownst to the owner.