Clutch frozen !!

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Now that my daily driver has been stolen, I got a couple days to get my supra on the road.

1987 turbo starts up, and idles great, revs good, but is very difficult to put into gear, and lurches for ward and dies once you do. Clutch pedal is very stiff, even after bleeding air out.

We put it up on Jack stands and started the car in gear, and the wheels turn and get faster with gas. Pushing in the clutch all the way does not slow down the wheels, they keep spinning.

Pulled off the clutch slave and found that I could depress the rod all the way with my hand, and it takes three pumps of the clutch pedal to get it to extend completely. I'm about to order a new set of clutch master and slave cylinders, but still holding off in case I need anything else.

The clutch fork moves freely, and it seems like the clutch and flywheel are frozen together. Clutch was replaced with some aftermarket set by po, has yellow plates.

Tomorrow we're gonna drop the transmission and see what's going on, but does anyone have anything to add or to check for? If I push the fork in with my hand the plates don't budge (car is off of course). It shift fine when the engine is off.

I have a feeling that the clutch had sat in the tranny for a year or so, the po blew the hg and did a port and polish on the head and installed new clutch, but he was never able to set the CPS correctly. And somehow, the clutch became stuck to the fly wheel.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
your hand will not have enough power to move the clutch pressure plate bud....get a new master and slave cylinder and that will solve your issue....there is no way the clutch plate is frozen to the flywheel without you have been burning up your clutch and they welded together which i dont think is the case here

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Did you ever touch the clutch or flywheel? My buddy put his on backwards and couldn't get it in gear.

san supra;1445052 said:
anyone want to flip my clutch disc around for me? plz?!!! Im blaming it being on backwards on my brother due to the fact that he's done my clutch twice and he sad he thought it went that way.

thanks for the diagnosis rufus

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Never touched the clutch or pressure plate, I just pulled off the cover to check. Is there anyway to tell if it's backwards by looking at it trough the inspection plates? If not, we'll be dropping the transmissisoan tomorrow to check it anyways. You can get it in gear with the car on if you depress the pedal real hard and push the shifter a little hard. I only tried it one or twice, and it didn't grind when getting in gear. I didn't for the tranny after that.

Locally, there are no clutch slaves in stock, but I do have a spare slave rebuild kit for a w58 slave. Are the internals the same, but just the location and mounting is different?

When I replaced the clutch slave on my na, I remember being unable to push the rod in with my hand. It should be that stiff, right?

Also, I forgot to mention this, not sure if it means anything: when the slave was still mounted to the motor, the clutch was very stiff, when I took it off, the pedal was very soft. From what gaboon is saying, I believe the clutch slave is just shot, and doesn't transmit enough power to move the plate?

The clutch fork is also loose, I can push it far enough that it touches the pressure plate.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
does it leak fluid? honestly dont use rebuild kits on these things....they are cheap enough new as it is....just order up new ones from driftmotion or toyota if you get a discount like most of us do....there are many toyota people on this forum that give us discounts....

install a new master and slave and give that a shot....if it doest work then well atleast you have new shit for when you do fix the issue...from you described i believe its your hydrolic system thats fucked.

what exactly do you mean you can push it till it touches the pressure plate? can you take a pic?

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Like I said, I haves couple of days to fix it, where I live, it takes at least a week to get parts in the mail. Just trying to do something to get me on the road to work and back. But I guess I'll have to wait for a bit. No leaks.

The plate that the slave presses has a lot of free play, to the point that I can push it till it touches the pressure plate.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Dude if you can get it in gear at all with the engine running your clutch is moving independently of the flywheel=not stuck. Its dragging, but still releasing slightly, otherwise you would never be able to get it in gear unless you pushed the car up to exactly the right speed and then put it in gear. Why pull the trans when you have no need? The clutch fork pushed on the throwout bearing which pushes on the pressure plate, so yes you should be able to move the fork until the bearing contacts the pressure plate.

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
But should the fork it self be able to contact the edge of the pressure plate? When I pulled off the plate to check, the fork had a lot of free play. Now thatvits light out, let me try tobyaje a pic

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
p1521661_1.jpg

p1521661_2.jpg

With the fork pulled back towards the transmission:

p1521661_3.jpg

Also, I can't take a clear picture of it, but there is a groove in the clutchfork, like it was grinding against the pressure plate, and fits like a puzzle piece against the plate. The pressure plate also has paint ground off, in the same spot as the groove on the fork. You can see the paint ground off in the first picture.

could the clutch fork be backwards? the po put the new clutch in, but was never able to get it running. Botch job by the po?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if this is an r154 the fork is supposed to have a pin in it that gets held in by a hook that's bolted to the tranny.