Climate control buttons not staying down!

cisco

Sep 29, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
hey man i have the same prob, what i do is take a dime and wedge it in between the buttons LOL it works really. sorry i have no idea how to fix it. im goin race car style with mine. stiripped interior so no need for climate control

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Replace the climate control.... I would tell you to rebuild it, but apparently it's beyond most people's skill level. It is a real pain in the ass, but it is doable.

And if ONE person says to oil it, I will find you and I will hurt you.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE said:
Replace the climate control.... I would tell you to rebuild it, but apparently it's beyond most people's skill level. It is a real pain in the ass, but it is doable.

And if ONE person says to oil it, I will find you and I will hurt you.
Squirt some of da der 50w erl in er.:biglaugh:
How about some grafite Cre? Would that damage it or do they make some sort of electronic cleaning spray for contacts to maybe loosen the buttons up?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
<shudders> just had to say it didn't you.... ugh.

Lubrication won't help 99% of the time (and I personally would be hard pressed to believe the lubricant did anything useful in the other 1%).

The most common reason for buttons not sticking is excess wear of the molded in catch which is part of each individual button. The most common reason for ALL of the buttons not sticking is: Each button has a catch molded into the actuator, when a button is pressed the catch pushed on a brass plate (which spans across all of the buttons) away from all of the buttons thus releasing which ever button is currently "down". Then, when you release the button its own built in latch which pressed the plate away gets caught under the spring loaded plate keeping the button "down". If the spring for the plate is damaged or the plate itself is seized NONE of the buttons will latch.

Some have posted that upon dissecting their climate control units they found that the latch in the button actuator was packed with debris and as such preventing the button from properly catching on the brass plate. In this case some careful cleaning and tooth pics saved the day.

If the built in latches are completely damaged you can always swap buttons from a donor CC, however it is NOT in any way an easy job and involves a lot more than just soldering in a new button.... remember that brass plate? It's held in place by a steel plate which is crimped in 4 spots to EACH button's main body. Take it from someone who's rebuilt a couple... it SUCKS.

There, now with all that out of the way: You're probably thinking "great, my CC's screwed and I'm gonna have to buy a new one". You are, in fact, absolutely correct! However, to help prevent the additional stress from effecting the people at waste management, I will gladly take any unwanted CCs for recycling purposes (no applause, no applause.. really, you all are TOO kind).

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE said:
<shudders> just had to say it didn't you.... ugh.

Lubrication won't help 99% of the time (and I personally would be hard pressed to believe the lubricant did anything useful in the other 1%).

The most common reason for buttons not sticking is excess wear of the molded in catch which is part of each individual button. The most common reason for ALL of the buttons not sticking is: Each button has a catch molded into the actuator, when a button is pressed the catch pushed on a brass plate (which spans across all of the buttons) away from all of the buttons thus releasing which ever button is currently "down". Then, when you release the button its own built in latch which pressed the plate away gets caught under the spring loaded plate keeping the button "down". If the spring for the plate is damaged or the plate itself is seized NONE of the buttons will latch.

Some have posted that upon dissecting their climate control units they found that the latch in the button actuator was packed with debris and as such preventing the button from properly catching on the brass plate. In this case some careful cleaning and tooth pics saved the day.

If the built in latches are completely damaged you can always swap buttons from a donor CC, however it is NOT in any way an easy job and involves a lot more than just soldering in a new button.... remember that brass plate? It's held in place by a steel plate which is crimped in 4 spots to EACH button's main body. Take it from someone who's rebuilt a couple... it SUCKS.

There, now with all that out of the way: You're probably thinking "great, my CC's screwed and I'm gonna have to buy a new one". You are, in fact, absolutely correct! However, to help prevent the additional stress from effecting the people at waste management, I will gladly take any unwanted CCs for recycling purposes (no applause, no applause.. really, you all are TOO kind).
I just wanted to know if the 50w would work and you have to go and write a whole page for me and others to read.:nono: Must be hard being soooo smart:biglaugh: Well I guess try for the 1% and start looking for a replacement, might be able to find one on the parts wanted section.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
LOL... Oh, sorry AJ...

Nah mang, you'ns keep that oil fer tha car.... keep it in the motor mang, the motor.

Seriously though, I got my 89+ CC for $5 or $10 (I think it was $5) because most of the keys wouldn't stay down. I rebuilt it using parts from my pre89 CC.... it sucked.... a lot.... and then.... a.... little more.

Personally, I've seen ONE CC where the problem was due to debris... debris which was sticking to the button actuators because the F#$KING !OIL! gave it something to stick to.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Just rebuild it... it's a LOT cheaper. ;)

EDIT:

Okay, sorry about that... had to type something to put up while I dug for the part number.
HVAC Control Unit: 55900-14500 MSRP: $601.29 (or you could shop for a used one for around $100)

Last edited:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I'd just get another one. If you are low on money pre 89 ones are cheap. And if you are ballin do this to one.

p784974_1.jpg

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
CRE said:
Just rebuild it... it's a LOT cheaper. ;)

EDIT:

Okay, sorry about that... had to type something to put up while I dug for the part number.
HVAC Control Unit: 55900-14500 MSRP: $601.29 (or you could shop for a used one for around $100)
Rebuilding sounds like a pain from what you said. $600 is spendy though. I would guess I could get it for more like $450 from Kurt at Elmhurst Toyota though. Not too bad considering it should last 15 years. I'm a bit short on cash now though, so maybe I'll get a used one that works and keep it till it dies. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new one at that point.

I'll be looking more seriously in a while when I start working on my car again. But in the meantime if anyone is selling a 89+ climate control with all the buttons working for less than $50 shipped I'll go for it.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Yeah, they're pricey. I got that price from Champion's site, no discount offered. IIRC, someone called Elmhurst about it and they couldn't give much of a discount either.

I just might have to start buying up bad CC's and refurbishing them. I wouldn't do it for cheap to say the least, but still half off is a big step in the right direction.

Silvasoup

May 12, 2005
Florida
I guess my climate control buttons didn't stay down because of dirt. A little while ago I took out my trusty can of CRC QD contact cleaner and with the small spray tube which came with the can I sprayed between all the buttons. I worked all the buttons and kept spraying until they worked. How long it will keep working is another question. Anyhow it is worth a try and you don't take anything apart. That spray is great every tool kit should have some. The stuff doesn't seem to hurt the vinyl or plastic parts either. I did notice a little dull look to the black plastic after a while. I then used a little Armorall original sprayed on a paper towel and it looks good once again. Just in case care should be taken when using the CRC spray.

Last edited: