clicking valves/noisy valves

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
I have clicking valves, they are most noticable under light throttle, anyway somone told me I could put spacers in there and it would help doctor them up for now, how is that done exactly? I have also herd they could be "loose" How would I go about any kind of fix?

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
there are shims in there. look it up in the tsrm. if you dont have it search for it here and download it NOW!!!! if u own a supra, YOU NEED TO HAVE THAT!!!!!

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
My engine does the same thing but mine is really noticable at about 2500-3000 RPMs. Its only really does it in 1st and 2nd Gear. Its a little Irritating and I want to fix it also. So would someone answer him or myself on the correct way to do it.

Robert

smupra

Nov 29, 2005
chilliwack bc
do ur valve clearences. just get a feeler guage and stick it between the cam shaft and the shim, if its out by more then the stock tolorences, calculate what shim u need, be it thicker or thiner, and go buy one and replace it.

fyi, if u go to toyota, shims are like 13 bucks a peice. i recomend going to yamaha or suzuki, cuz the shims out of the bikes are the same as the ones out of the supra. i think its cuz the head was designed or origionally manufactured by yamaha.

anyways, good luck, no one licks loud valves. but it shouldnt hurt ur motor.

make sure its not a knock

PATLEE

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
measure them, it's easy, and find out for sure.
i *assumed* for a long time that, that's what was wrong, with mine. finally got around to checking them and all were within tolerance. could have seen my whole face turn ash white as in 'what have i done'. i promptly got my engine rebuilt and found out there was a galled piston and two bent valves.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
ouch. Mine were ticking really bad. I was pretty pissed because the guy I bought my car from said he just had the head rebuilt back to factory specs and it cost over $1200. The bastard the rebuilt it just threw the old shims back in without checking them. I had 22 out of 24 shims out of spec when I checked them. Replaced the exaust side with some shims from my spare head and I still have like 10 that are a lil out of spec. Somebody on Ohiosupras.org said it was Honda CB750 shims. they're supposed to be half the cost of toyota's. Goooood luck, some of them are a PITA to get out.

p.s. make sure you take your measurements with a COLD ENGINE

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
What are the Tolerance Measurements. Im going to check mine this weekend and correct my Friends motor that the Builder installed His Cams backwards. Basically, Intake cam is on the Exhaust side and Exhaust is on the Intake side.

Couldnt believe it myself and he have been trying to get this motor to start for 10 Months Now.

Robert

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
supraguy31 said:
What are the Tolerance Measurements. Im going to check mine this weekend and correct my Friends motor that the Builder installed His Cams backwards. Basically, Intake cam is on the Exhaust side and Exhaust is on the Intake side.

Couldnt believe it myself and he have been trying to get this motor to start for 10 Months Now.

Robert

If that was the case, theres absolutely no way it would start since the cps/dizzy is driven off the gear on the exhaust cam. No spin, no spark....

As far as valve noise, i had it, genna had it, kevin had it, and they were all within spec. I'll have to see if the underbucket setup will be as noisy, but as was said before, unless its spit a bucket, its probably ok...

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Slow66 said:
If that was the case, theres absolutely no way it would start since the cps/dizzy is driven off the gear on the exhaust cam. No spin, no spark....

As far as valve noise, i had it, genna had it, kevin had it, and they were all within spec. I'll have to see if the underbucket setup will be as noisy, but as was said before, unless its spit a bucket, its probably ok...

I Agree with the No start there. We have been looking over this engine for quite some time. Everything to do with the Electrical Aspect to Replacing Items that we know now didnt need to be replaced. I called the Builder up today and told him the Problem. He couldnt believe that he was that Stupid to do such a thing. He said that when I get the cams switched, Try and see if it starts. If it does, Have my Friend come down, Pick his car up and take it to him and he will do the Shim work for free.... Better safe than sorry

Robert