Cleaning AFM electronics

sonofsupra

Nov 23, 2006
Ohio
Did a pretty extensive search and couldn't find any previous posts about this.

Car was running way rich. Pulled a code for AFM. I put a buddy's electronics in my Lexus AFM body and it completely fixed the problem, car runs great now. I was using the HKS Mega Dirt Flow filter and I think that's what gummed up the works in mine. The tube that creates the vortex was pretty dirty and I've cleaned that inside and out. I think now the problem is the mirror might be dirty and I don't want to pour the wrong solvent in the holes and damage anything. Anyone have experience with a cleaner that will not damage the diode, photoreceptor or mirror? Alcohol? Canned air? The holes leading in and out of the mirror portion are pretty small but I'm sure I could inject some type of cleaner in there.
Thanks for any help!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
From a previous search I did on this I found that you shouldnt put anyhitng at all in there, you may as well find a used set of electronics......sucks.

sonofsupra

Nov 23, 2006
Ohio
Pretty much what I thought but it couldn't get any worse. The car idled at 9:1 AF and ran pretty poorly, although at 14:1 cruising. You didn't want to be sitting behind me at a stop light :aigo: There has to be an electronics cleaner that won't damage aluminum so I'll do some more research. If I find something that works, I'll post it up. Lesson: don't trust an old, used Mega Dirt Flow filter.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Rennat;1042258 said:
you could try alcohol... from the sounds of it, it really cant get any worse!

nope!

Granted the AFM is already messed up in the OPS situation, BUT putting anything into the "vortex reader" won't fix it. As a matter of fact it will break it more.

The mirror is a tiny piece of foil. It is so delicate that any solvent, even water, will make it stick and really end up breaking the electronics.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The only thing that *may* work is freon. The problem is directing it to where you need it. ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I have an electronics degree and have been working in the field since I graduated. That being said, there is a chemical you can use. I use it everyday and it is pretty easy to find! Here's the manufacturer and part number. It is safe on all electronic components and MOST plastics. Google it or call your local Fry's or other electronics store.

TechSpray G3
1631-16S

The only thing I haven't used this on is glass or a mirror. I don't know if it will leave a residual film or not.

You said that it can't get any worse so it's worth a shot!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

sonofsupra

Nov 23, 2006
Ohio
Thanks for all the advice. I'll check out the spray; the freon will probably be too difficult to put in the right place. I'm starting to save for the Maft Pro but I really want to drive the car and not ruin my buddy's electronics. If anything solves the problem I'll post it up. I'm assuming the AFM works on either pressure or vibration so blasting something in there is probably where a lot of screw-ups happen.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I think that I posted this same question on DFWMKIV. I had oil squirt out all over my motor and got some in the afm and top. I called my buddy Trent and he told me to get some electrical parts cleaner, the one from home depot and just mist where the sensor is and lightly spray. Then I put everything back together and it worked and my code went away. You can try it and see if it helps it did me.