Check engine

BoondockzMk3

Jul 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Ca
i just bought my first supra, and its a beast, lol, but the check engine light comes on when ive been in fifth for a few minutes and stays on untill i turn it off and go into fifth again, ive driven for a long time under 5th and it never comes on untill ive been crusing in fifth. It would be great if you could send me some ideas what could be wong, and also could you point me to a link for the scanner i need to get my engines codes..

BoondockzMk3

Jul 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Ca
Thany you for that advice with the paperclip, it gave me a 43 then a 71, im still much of a novice, the 71 is EGR System Malfunction
Diagnosis
EGR gas temp below predetermined level during EGR operation.
Open circuit in EGR gas temp sensor signal (THG).
Trouble Area
EGR system (EGR valve, EGR hose etc.)
EGR gas temp sensor circuit
EGR gas temp sensor
VSV for EGR circuit
VSV for EGR
ECU

and the 43 Starter Signal
Diagnosis
No "STA" signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800RPM with vehicle not moving.
Trouble Area
Ignition switch circuit.
Ignition switch
ECU
what do these codes mean? am i doing any damage to my vehicle driving with that 71 code? really appreceate all the help

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
code 71 = check your EGR plumbing, aka, clean the throttle body AND Y pipe.

I kept getting a 71 and finally took off my Y pipe and found the passage had been clogged full of crap. Cleaned it out with some carb cleaner and a skinny screwdriver and all has been well since. :)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Blinks are codes. Continuous fast blinks mean no codes. What does solid lit unblinking CEL's mean. I'm assuming no codes. I cleared codes yesterday, but got a quick CEL, so I checked them again. It just turns on and stays on. Does this mean "light match, insert car"?