cheapest jdm warehouse?

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
Well i blew the hg om my ge and then i replaced it shortly after i spun a rod bearing. Im done wasteing my money on this motor so now im ready to upgrade to the gte but i need to find the cheepest place to get one im very short on cash and i know my car will be sitting for a while so wheres the cheapest place to get a 7MGTE?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
well if you buy a used motor be prepared to freshen it up with all new gaskets and seals and hoses and I would check out the bottom end, possibly rebuild it. The cheapest way is the way thats gonna have you back here telling us your bad news again very shortly. Best way it to find someone on here with a cheap gte long block and sending it to an engine shop. The old used jdm's arent usually a good/cost effective route.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i bought my motor from a crashed auto 90 supra in oregon with 115k on it. motor looked really nice. turbo had no shaft play. i paid $1150 for it shipped w/o a tranny. it did come with a uncut auto harness in excelent shape that i'm saving as a spare when mine bites the dust. i need my car going asap so i just dropped it in. didn't really do anything to it. in couple months it started to use coolent. i changed the hg and it has ran great ever since. hardly burns any oil. i would stay away form jdm 7m's. who knows how long those things have been sitting. i have heard people getting a motor with rusted cylinder walls.

oh yeah. by a auto when you buy a junk yard motor. less chance it has been beat on.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
wharehouse?

is that like a whorehouse?

wharehouse???? Serisouly? REALLY?

thebadz32. Cheapest? You are aware that that cheap engine will be trouble again and perhaps land you exactly where you are at currently.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
when i said cheapest i ment cheapest reliable unit i could get i really dont know where to start stuff like this is very hard to find in junkyards around here and when u do find this stuff people think its gold and want way more than what its worth

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
xarewhyayen;1084567 said:
The old used jdm's arent usually a good/cost effective route.

That's not my experience...JDM's are just like any other Toyota motor, do you think they make crappy motors for their home market? Not only are they just as good (better in some cases), if you find a supplier you can trust, he can probably find you a 30 to 40kmi motor.

Japan's smog and registration laws, which make it non-cost effective to drive a car much older 10 years, combined with the fact that the average person in Japan doesn't drive as much as the average person here is the reason why people import JDM motors, and why you can find them with very low miles compared to what's typically available used in the America.

So as for the statement "jdm's aren't usually a good/cost efective route", I disagree strongly, as will a lot of people who have used jdm stuff and had great luck with it.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
thebadz32;1084650 said:
when i said cheapest i ment cheapest reliable unit i could get i really dont know where to start stuff like this is very hard to find in junkyards around here and when u do find this stuff people think its gold and want way more than what its worth

it is worth whatever the market can sustain.

Cheap and Supra? You sure got the wrong car. Nothing on these cars are inexpensive. then being used and 21 years old for an 87 and makes prices even worse.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Cheepest route would be snag one from a local junkyard or someone on this forum. When you buy a used motor assume it has a BHG, rod knock, and bad gaskets/hoses/sensors everywhere and rebuild accordingly. Build cheep on a turbo and you will be broke with a broken car soon.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprabad;1084652 said:
That's not my experience...JDM's are just like any other Toyota motor, do you think they make crappy motors for their home market? Not only are they just as good (better in some cases), if you find a supplier you can trust, he can probably find you a 30 to 40kmi motor.

Japan's smog and registration laws, which make it non-cost effective to drive a car much older 10 years, combined with the fact that the average person in Japan doesn't drive as much as the average person here is the reason why people import JDM motors, and why you can find them with very low miles compared to what's typically available used in the America.

So as for the statement "jdm's aren't usually a good/cost efective route", I disagree strongly, as will a lot of people who have used jdm stuff and had great luck with it.

used is used regardless if it is JDM, PolishedTurdDM or USDM. Those JDM motors are not imported half cuts like that. Those half cuts are the causualties of the people that don't read, import a car that is not import improved and then let customs destroy it.

2nd of all.

30,000 miles. Low mileage but how was the maintanance. Sludge and never an oil change. You get what you pay for.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
well i dont want somethin i can turn the boost up on i have a short block here that i was gonna save money and build after i got my car back running it will get je or wisico pistons eagle rods all arp hardware and i havent made any plans as for what im going to do with the head yet so for the time being i want a complete 7MGTE that i can put in my car so i can drive it i understand that the hg should probally be re-torqued and all and all nesacery non working parts/componets taken care of

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
A few have had good luck with JDM motors, I haven't. I got one and for having 30k on it it was pretty bad. I contacted the company and they said give it a try. The valve seals were bad the rings, and a lot of other things. So they sent me another. It looked cleaner but the same problems. So after going thru the pulling and installing2 times I demanded my money back $1k if I remember right. They ended up giving me $600 back and I kept the JDM motor for spare parts. Wish I had rebuilt my original to begin with which is what I did.

If you get a JDM motor you will probably have to tear it down replace the oil pump, which they recommend, also bearings, valve seals and any other wear items or at least check everything out.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Most of the JDM engines I see come through here probably have about 30,000 to 40,000 miles, and EVERY one of them has had the original Sumitomo spark plug wires still on them, from '85 to '87.

Now, regardless of the low miles, it is not healthy for an engine to just SIT wherever it is sitting. Warehouse, junkyard, wherever. It obviously has not been run in years, so all kinds of bad things can happen to one of these low mileage engines. They can seize, their seals are probably rotted, etc.

Treat a JDM engine the same as you would a junkyard engine, REBUILD IT.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
i think i might be one of the very few to have good luck with a jdm engine. i through a rod in my 7mge and i got a jdm 7mge from a canaidian company that imports japan engines. i've just had to change minor stuff due to the 7m i got was from a cressida. so oil pump, pan, but i was able to transfer most stuff that wasn;t damaged by the rod. but i've had that engine over a year and no problems what so ever. (knock on wood). and i ended up getting the engine for i think 600 or 650 with shipping.