Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
just drive it as it is till you get money and can afford one of three options

NA->T
7MGTE swap
JZ series swap

dont waste your money by trying to make your N/A fast, get a job, save up and go turbo

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah, sorry to rain on your parade man. im sure youre pretty excited about your first (?) car being a supra. if you want, just clean it up and do a feww little things like an intake and exhaust. enjoy the car for what it is and see if you can make a little more money on it when you sell it. then you can turn around and pick up a Turbo model. at that point, you wont be opening a can of worms because youll already have supra-experience. youll know your way around the car and all its quirks. gotta crawl befo you walk man.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
OneJoeZee said:
Don't spend money on NA mods. It will still be slow. :biglaugh:

I put a 1jz into my na. She gets up and goes when she needs to:evil2:
and according to the insurance company AND the dmv, its still a NA.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
You're gonna spend the big bucks eventually. The question is do you really want to buy the cheap parts and then pay to have your engine rebuilt when you blow it up first?

Step 1: Make sure your Supra is running perfectly before any upgrades. Most people blow up because they take an unknown engine and start stressing things that were on the verge of breaking already. Replace old brittle hoses etc. Do ALL of the basic maintenance. Don't take ANY shortcuts.

Step 2: Research ALL parts that you are planning to put on your car. I think there is only one or two parts on the market for the MkIII that haven't been reviewed by someone. You can find all of this information online - most of it here actually.

Step 3: When you upgrade some piece be sure you upgrade any piece that might be affected. Upgrade the brakes!!! Would you rather hit the wall because you can't stop?

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
KeithH said:
You're gonna spend the big bucks eventually. The question is do you really want to buy the cheap parts and then pay to have your engine rebuilt when you blow it up first?

Step 1: Make sure your Supra is running perfectly before any upgrades. Most people blow up because they take an unknown engine and start stressing things that were on the verge of breaking already. Replace old brittle hoses etc. Do ALL of the basic maintenance. Don't take ANY shortcuts.

Step 2: Research ALL parts that you are planning to put on your car. I think there is only one or two parts on the market for the MkIII that haven't been reviewed by someone. You can find all of this information online - most of it here actually.

Step 3: When you upgrade some piece be sure you upgrade any piece that might be affected. Upgrade the brakes!!! Would you rather hit the wall because you can't stop?

Good post! This man speaks the truth....performance without reliability will only get you so far.....and its usually counted in days!

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Bigzavs said:
you mean 2JZ-GE for $100?

Yeah, GE, it came out of a 94 auto which was Vinz's on Supraforums as i've come to learn. His is now TT and 6spd. But at least i got the basics of what i need

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I had an n/a. They make great daily drivers. Don't bother with mods. You can dump cash in it all day and won't really notice any gains(trust me I know). Just keep it in good working order save your money and do a heart transplant pre-modded in a few years.:runaway: