Catch Can

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
hey guys...

just picked up a catch can a few days ago(for my N/A) and i have one question before the install begins. as you all know, there are 2 nipples on the cam covers and one on the throttle body. i "T'ed" the 2 cam cover lines into one and ran that to one nipple on the catch can, now what happens with the other catch can nipple? do i route that back to the throttle body nipple, do i put a breather on the catch can and blockoff the throttle body nipple, etc? this is my first time dealing with a catch can so all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

-Steve

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
you route the other nipple back to the throttle body so the catch can has vacuume to pull any gases into the can. the purpose of hte can is to get the oil vapours cool enough that they condense and collect in the can. Put some fine steel wool in the catch can before you hook everything up aswell. the extra surface area of cooler metal will help aid in condensing the oil.

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
thanks for the help guys! i also read somewhere that keeping the catch can on the intake side is ideal since it will be slightly cooler than on the exhaust side, thus keeping the can and vapors cooler. is this legit?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
To a degree. Underhood temps are underhood temps, although radiated heat from the exhaust system could soak into the catch can.

Also, make sure the can sees vacuum. Do not put a breather on it. You will blow main seals all day long.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
and after the main is gone, the oil pan gasket will go. like MDC said, those blow by gases MUST be evacuated from the crank case via vacuum supplied by the intake.