carbon fiber trunk

mk3tt

Nov 7, 2006
kail-Fresno
Is there any place that sell carbon fiber trunk or make us some carbon fiber trunk for us supra ?? any tip would help :1zhelp:

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
ViR2;1026784 said:
and as we all know CF does not rust

xmasorlyflag.gif

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
you mean carbon fiber hatch? most of it is glass anyway, but if you were to lighten that up, it would possibly negatively alter the weight distribution of the car being that there is like nothing in the back as compared to the front, in weight.

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
A bare OEM metal hatch is very lightweight. Its the glass that makes it heavy. The best thing to do if you want to save weight is get a alternative rear windshield made of something else besides glass.

Now, if your fighting against cancer... I'm sure most CF manufacturers can make a CF hatch for you for a very pretty penny.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I told people a million times that certain companies would make CF products for our cars if people would just bring in the parts for them to replicate them. Sadly they are all way too far from me, and no one else seems to care enough. There are 2 companies that I talked to that was interested.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
umm the first question is why?

How much does the hatch weight without the glass? If no one can answer that, than why is there even a notion that CF is "better"?

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
figgie;1026951 said:

How much does the hatch weight without the glass? If no one can answer that, than why is there even a notion that CF is "better"?

From what I remember reading, a race team dropped something like 50+ lbs from the top of the car by going to a carbon hatch and plexi-glass hatch window

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
figgie;1026951 said:

If your hatch is rusting or your building a show car, it couldn't hurt to have CF as an option. That and every few lbs adds up. I'd much rather shave a few pounds off my body first before getting rid of comfort personally. The question is, why wouldn't we want a cf hatch available? Would it be the most efficient dollar per gain ratio? No... but it still is a gain none the less.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
gilberjj;1026961 said:
From what I remember reading, a race team dropped something like 50+ lbs from the top of the car by going to a carbon hatch and plexi-glass hatch window

I don't think so.

The hatch in and on itself is not heavy. AT ALL. The glass on the other hand is quite the weight.

but as was stated before.

These pigs of a car are already at a huge disadvantage by having the 7m boat anchor up front. Throwing the balance upwards of 54%/46% STOCK. Taking off weight from the rear should be the LAST thing we need to do unless you enjoy a car that oversteers like crazy.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
What ive found from doing a little research on carbon fiber hatches for Honda's is the carbon fiber only saves usually 5-10lbs over the stock stamped steel. Now this is on a honda so im not sure if the same would apply for a Supra. Also im pretty sure all of the CF hatches do not have a hole for a windshield washer, which would also save weight.

You would probably get more of a weigh savings replacing the glass with lexan although im not sure if the hatch glass is anything like the front windshield of a car, it plays a big roll in the structure in the front of the car.

I think it looks badass matched with a carbon fiber hood but it seems to be more form/function.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
SupraOfDoom;1026985 said:
Well, Figgie your assuming people just lighten the rear... everyone knows to lighten the front of the car more importantly right ? :).

unless someone has dropped a 1uz in place of the 7m. Not much of a weight drop will happen upfront. Even if you were to replace the OEM panels with sandwiched 3K, 12k, 3k CF panels.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Man, I pulled all the stuff from my engine + front end on my purple car.... and I'm going to have to disagree with you. There is plenty of stuff it the front to get rid of or put in the rear. If your that into balancing there is PLENTY in the front to get rid of.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I gotta find it, but the weight balance is more 51/49 stock...

Take out the spare, ect and you'll throw that off though.

Personally, MORE parts for our cars can NEVER be a bad thing. I say make as much as possible in CF....why not? Don't like it? Don't buy it!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Poodles;1027385 said:
I gotta find it, but the weight balance is more 51/49 stock...

Take out the spare, ect and you'll throw that off though.

Personally, MORE parts for our cars can NEVER be a bad thing. I say make as much as possible in CF....why not? Don't like it? Don't buy it!

my friend has an entire front end in CF for his 350z... im beyond jealous!
bumper... fenders... hood... just imagine the long term weight savings...
our doors need to be made in CF before the hatch though... or we need to get aluminum hoods or something.

i remember reading in my magazine that a guy made an ENTIRE body for his rx-7 in CF... due to the rules he had to add like 600lbs to the car of just pure dead weight to make it legal to run in the field he was in. this was a race car... but still... pretty awesome!