car wont start

c_vang

supraguy
Mar 25, 2007
Michigan
i have a 90 supra with the 1jz. The car wont start. usually every morning before i go to work i will start it and let it run for 5 to 10 min. The car fires up on the first try. Then the other day i went and fire it up and started for 5 sec the car sputter and then cut off and after that never got the car to start agian. I never mess with anything before when the car was running. I check for fuel, spark, bad coil and the igniter and everything works ( I even relpace with good working 2jz parts and still the same).I check if i have power to the ecu and i do. Check for blow fuse and there is none. Timing looks likes its correct also but i could be wrong. Could timing just jump on these 1jz. What about coolent temp sensor if that bad could it cause the car not to start. Dose the 1jz have a cps if do where is it located. Could the tps and map sensor or crank sensor cause this kind problem. Also what is the chance that the ecu just went bad. If i keep on cranking the car after a few try it sound like its trying to combust. I'm clueless at this point any suggestion will be very helpful.

c_vang

supraguy
Mar 25, 2007
Michigan
I just put a fuel pump on the car it is a walbro 255 and its not a month old yet. when you mean the EFI what am i checking. does the 1jz has a cps and also checking the timing should be very similar to the 7m motor rite.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
c_vang said:
I just put a fuel pump on the car it is a walbro 255 and its not a month old yet. when you mean the EFI what am i checking. does the 1jz has a cps and also checking the timing should be very similar to the 7m motor rite.

it MIGHT be the walbro, it has a reputation on failing on some people.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
JASONA70 said:
it MIGHT be the walbro, it has a reputation on failing on some people.

Well it all depends really as long as you dont starve the fuel pump your in the clear but my other question is are you running the walbro with the 12v mod or not?

c_vang

supraguy
Mar 25, 2007
Michigan
i am not running a 12volt to the pump as of my experience with the walbro 255 I never had one failed on me before. I still have fuel coming to the feed line, doesn't that mean my fuel pump is still working?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Check your codes, that definitely could be the ECU though, my car had the same symptoms and the ECU was fried.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
JonoTurbo said:
Check your codes, that definitely could be the ECU though, my car had the same symptoms and the ECU was fried.

when my ecu capacitors fried, the car would still start up. it would sputter and sputter eventually it would die. i was driving on an open busy street and suddenly my ecu gave out and i was rolling with newtons law.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
newtons law indeed.

i like newton.

newtons.jpg

c_vang

supraguy
Mar 25, 2007
Michigan
now if it was my ecu is there any way i can check it or do i need a find someone that specialize in ecu. is there a way i can check my capacitors. And by the way thanks for everyone with the info....

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
c_vang said:
now if it was my ecu is there any way i can check it or do i need a find someone that specialize in ecu. is there a way i can check my capacitors. And by the way thanks for everyone with the info....

Only way to 'check' the ECU is to pop open the covers and look at the caps to see if any are leaking, sometimes they'll have black spots, and sometimes white corrosion. Just because they don't look bad though doesn't mean they aren't.

If you have a bad ECU you can send it to Driftmotion to repair.

c_vang

supraguy
Mar 25, 2007
Michigan
well i open up my ecu and check it and didn't see no sign of black spots or white corrosion at all. Is it true that if the cap leaks when you open it up it will smell like rotten egg???

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Hey,check for codes...Diagnose the check engine light :sarcasm:
Have you got any codes?
Try a good working ECU from a friend....so you know that is working
flawessly.
If the ECU is not the issue...try to throw some pump gasoline into
the intake manifold and see if it fires.If the motor starts then you
have a fuel issue.Fuel pump,fuel pump relay and circuit opening relay
should be checked.

c_vang

supraguy
Mar 25, 2007
Michigan
I would try to check for codes but on my supra I have no check engine light. Whats wierd is that i took a look at the wiring for the check engine light and it looks like its all wired up correct but it not coming on the dash at all including all of the other gauges i even check for power and at the conector behind the cluster and at the plug and at the ecu plug and got power to everything is there another way to check the check engine light???
One person on SF said check the dash gournd and its the brown wire but I'm not sure what he is talking about.
About the the fuel pump i know i have a good fuel pump and did spray starter fluid in the TB and still did not start up. I'm almost 100% that its not a fuel issue.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Mighty curious to see how this thread will turn out. Same exact thing happened to me. Was driving one day and all of a sudden I came to a stop light and everything just turned off. The car just turns over and does not start. Parked it for the night and tried starting it in the morning. The car ran for maybe a minute and then died unable to start again. Since then its been parked for the winter.

Also checked fuel and spark and everything is good. No check engine light either but its hard to check for codes when the car doesn't run. Next thing on my list is to get the caps replaced. Hopefully that does the trick.

It came out of nowhere and the car just died. Funny how things happen.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
You start scaring me a little with the things you write...:aigo:
I hope that 2jz haven't got that kind of mysterious black outs :sarcasm:
I drive my car almost every 2 days and I go long distance trips to
Germany.
I wouldn't like to have a black out in a strange country during
midnight...that will be scary :cry:

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
the ecu board should not smell like rotten eggs, but if you have a bad cat. it smells like rotten eggs. try the search bar, i remember seeing a 1jz bad ecu picture around here somewhere.