Car wont start by key.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Ok, so last night I went to go to my friends house. So my car doesnt start, atleast not by key. So first off I thought it was the alarm, but it never went off. But I lock/unlock all the doors [both doors, trunk, hood]. That doesnt work. So I try to push start it, and that works.

I have no idea whats wrong, please help.
When I try to start the car, I can hear a relay clicking [or maybe ecu because its in that area] on the passenger side.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
loose battery terminal or dead battery.

disconnect, clean, reconnect battery

If it still doesnt work, try jumping it

if jumping does not work, may be completely dead, check for proper water levels

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Yeah this happened to me. I went out cruising and found out about the alarm system, but the final time where it just clicked is when my battery terminal was loose.

So yeah, just check the battery terminals for good connection, and try jumping the car off.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Id be surprised if its battery terminals, because it starts if I push it and pop the clutch. But i'll give it a try when I get home. [at school now] Its kinda weird because it came out of nowhere. Hope I get it fixed. I have places to go this weekend. :p

Thanks guys! Add any other solutions if you have them! :D

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The engine can be push started with only a minimal battery connection.

Battery connections can be quickly tested with pretty good accuracy by using the old school headlight trick. Turn 'em on and try cranking. If they go out a battery connection is bad. If they dim the problem usually lies elsewhere.

Re: clicking relays. There are two relays in the pax footwell that will click when the key is turned to start: 1) The starter relay and 2) the Circuit Opening Relay. Determine if both are clicking. If you can't tell remove the COR. If the starter relay still clicks the alarm or the clutch switch is not at fault.

The problem would lie downstream, either wiring, the neutral safety switch (if an auto), or the starter itself. I'm talking about the control path of course. You still need to verify the power path to the starter is good.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks for all the help guys, but I feel stupid.. Went to check the wires going to the starter, and the little black one that has a lil rectangular plug was disconnected. Put it back on and it worked just like it used to.

Did find out my starter is being held on with one bolt, but thats a matter i'll take care of tomorrow.

Again, Thanks for all the help! :)

marlonvip

Supra -only way to fly
Sep 2, 2006
Denmark
Try holding the key on IGN for a little an see if it starts:icon_bigg

Mine did for a while:)

~Marlon~

Kris

Oct 14, 2007
cedar hill, tx
steven89 said:
Thanks for all the help guys, but I feel stupid.. Went to check the wires going to the starter, and the little black one that has a lil rectangular plug was disconnected. Put it back on and it worked just like it used to.

Did find out my starter is being held on with one bolt, but thats a matter i'll take care of tomorrow.

Again, Thanks for all the help! :)

I had the same thing happen on my 89 Supra. Evidently, that connector can vibrate loose?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I replaced mine with the female crimp type spade connector, then pinched it with pliers to make it tight on the starter connector. A little heat shrink to seal it nicely, and problem solved.